www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 8:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: 'NEON CYNICS' RE-ISSUED AS A DOWNLOAD ONLY ALBUM!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:57 pm 
Regular

James Ellis wrote:
Isn't FLAC 24 bit as this is the de facto recording standard for studio quality, CD is mastered at 16 bit, hence the lossy comments, DVDA is 24bit,

Thus I can hear Talking Heads at 16 bit & then put on the companion DVDA & hear them in 24 bit 5.1 sound, Blu Ray CD would be nice, there is a standard for this.
James, studio standard digital files would be the full whack, either dot Wave or dot Aiff, according to preference. These include pretty much all the sound, even loads that we cannot even hear that are far out of the range of human hearing. But it all comes at a price as those to formats are massive. Well into the gigabytes for a single song. All the other files types are compressed to a certain extent, each using different mathematical equations to offer their optimum quality. And it is important not to confuse studio compression with file compression. Studio compression has to do with manipulation of sounds,; vibrations, et cetera according to an adjustable pattern. Although perhaps confusingly, does indeed compress the sound itself. (Come to think of it, I don't know half of what studio compression consists of! It's not my job.) But in this case, and most cases, we are referring to file compression - ways to get those massive Wave and Aif files into smaller 'packages' in order to facilitate speedier download times or to fit more tracks onto a CD.

Flac is called a 'lossless' file type because it removes those bits I previously mentioned that we as human beings cannot hear, and pretty much (nothing as of yet is exactly perfect) leaves all the bits we need. Or certainly would prefer to retain. So think of Flac as a 'no harm done' form of compression. The problem is, very few systems will play raw, unconverted Flac files without some sort of software to help transcode it. And there are tens of other file types, most again are not even playable on your computer or any CD player anyway. So unless you are a fanatic, you can pretty much ignore all the rest.

MP3s are the most common and more heavily compressed file types. And even those come in different flavours. Assuming they are made from the afore mentioned Wave or Aif files, you can also control the amount of compression (and file size) according to taste. The higher the conversion rate (currently 320.000 mbps) the 'better' the sound of an MP3. On the other end, many voice dictation files are created at 64mbps, or more commonly, 128mbps because they contain far less information than music files. Hope that helps. :wink:

Phew! Time for a bit of a lie-down. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:06 am 
The Citizen

My point, regarding Flac, is that the Flac digital file format can only reproduce what it is fed. It cannot 'upgrade' or improve the sound beyond its initial quality. As my albums are all recorded and mastered for CD manufacture, transferring them to Flac format will not make the sound quality any 'higher' or 'better' than the original CD. It will sound just the same as the CD. All Flac files do in this instance is reproduce the album at its CD quality, without 'loss'. Converting the album to a digital Mp3 file, on the other hand, will reduce the quality.
Simples! :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:25 am 
Regular

AnarchyInc wrote:
Also, just as small quibble....CD is a 'lossy" format. Meaning, in short, compressed. I much prefer the FLAC or Vinyl for this reason. But, the CD's should be bought in lieu of the other formats being available. The work should have primacy and it is GOOD/GREAT work!

FLAC in my understaning and usage for around the past decade, is a container of a lossless format which in turn is a WAV Format uncompressed
CD Is redbook standard 44 100 and wouldn't be considered 'lossy' in Artistes/ industry's listeners ears

I Can understand that too many in house engineers have compressed the crap out of the original lossless format and is the bain of a lot (far too many) current cd masterings per se
Hence the muse call back to original pre cd fuck 44 100 2496 vinyl playbacks :wink:

Format does matter BTW Asterisk the 12 inch vinyl format is not dead it had been 'cocooned' and is back in black with a very very big vengance it just refuses to be shifted off this mortal coil
it just doesn't smell the same! :wink: !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:56 am 
Regular

It's all Chinese to me. I do understand mp3 sucks though I listen to it a lot on my ipod, but flac is better. :? :roll: :wink: When LP's went out of stile and I lost my collection and equipment I downgraded my expectations.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:53 am 
Regular

Puzzleoyster wrote:
Format does matter BTW Asterisk the 12 inch vinyl format is not dead it had been 'cocooned' and is back in black with a very very big vengance it just refuses to be shifted off this mortal coil.
Mr Oyster, well, in reality, yes it is dead as a main format. Which in reality is what vinyl junkies demand. Just as dead as the record shop. And there are plenty of reasons why, the biggest being is that the industry decides what formats it prefers, not the consumer. Not to mention that their are not enough vinyl plants still in existence world-wide to accommodate a vinyl only format. And whilst there is some money in vinyl, it's not nearly enough to keep label executives happy (ie in the lifestyle of which they are accustomed) even though they choose to charge $35 or more per title. And for several years now it has become apparent that the strategy of the major labels has for sometime been in pursuit of a single format. And now with the advent of digital downloads, almost a 'no format', there is no doubt whatsoever they will be more than happy to sell us no format at all. Most vinyl is the work of savvy independent labels any way (Yay!). So whilst it's far from dead, it is even further away from ever being the main format of choice for those who provide the content as it is simply too expensive to produce.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:16 am 
Regular

Jeez everyone talks everything to shreds around here..... does anyone actually listen to the music? :o

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:02 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson -
Quote:
My point, regarding Flac, is that the Flac digital file format can only reproduce what it is fed. It cannot 'upgrade' or improve the sound beyond its initial quality. As my albums are all recorded and mastered for CD manufacture, transferring them to Flac format will not make the sound quality any 'higher' or 'better' than the original CD. It will sound just the same as the CD. All Flac files do in this instance is reproduce the album at its CD quality, without 'loss'. Converting the album to a digital Mp3 file, on the other hand, will reduce the quality.
Simples! :wink: :lol:

I understand a bit more now, thank you everybody for your input.

Asterisk -
Quote:
the biggest being is that the industry decides what formats it prefers, not the consumer

Only the record industry could behave like this, everybody else has to consider their market, this is a terrible indictment :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:04 pm 
Regular

James Ellis wrote:
asterisk wrote:
the biggest being is that the industry decides what formats it prefers, not the consumer

Only the record industry could behave like this, everybody else has to consider their market, this is a terrible indictment :roll:
Honestly, yes. And I agree, it is a strong and terrible indictment. And I will try to keep this short. But complete control has always been the ultimate goal of many large industries. Obviously it is a very old concept going back millennia. But specifically for the sake of example, in modern times it started with the original oil, steel, newspaper, and banking barons towards the end of the 19th century. And the Film Industry followed in this same fashion. Today we are seeing a sharp return of this sort of attitude with the financial markets and banking Industry, the Insurance Industry, and the new kids on the block, politicians. And surely there are others in the making. And this is why I constantly rail against the big labels. The colloquial phrase 'My way or the highway' very much is how the major labels continue to rule as they see fit.

Since the early days when their main focus was the film studios in America, they ruled employees with an iron fist. Nowadays they only conveniently forget to pay their employees. Well, just the artists. All other employees get paid as with any other job. But back in the film studio days they literally owned their artists. Put them under exclusive contracts so they could not do a film (or a lot of the time even fraternise) with any other studios or their actors. If on occasion, a loan of, swap of actors was seen as advantageous, individual contracts were written up giving very specific instructions and time limits to these business arrangements. And if an actor ever infringed upon these contracts, they faced the possibility of never working again. The film studios had this sort of power of ownership. So really, with that lineage of all encompassing power would their music industry be any different?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:22 pm 
Regular

Sure they control the formats.

I just want to know how to change 440 hz to 528 hz. :?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:01 pm 
The Citizen

Let's try to make it even simpler:
I record my music at CD quality, here in my humble studio. I mix the CD quality multi-tracks to a DAT tape machine, also set to record the mixes at CD quality. When those DAT tapes are mastered at Fairview by John Spence, they're mastered at CD Quality. When the CD's are manufactured, they're (obviously,) manufactured at CD quality too. So, when you stick the CD of my album on your CD player, it is heard at CD quality. Which is how I meant it to be.

Neither you nor I ever hear my recordings at a higher bit rate or quality spec than CD quality, 'cos they're recorded to that format right from the start. All Flac does is reproduce that same CD quality without dragging it through an idiot's earmuff. It can't and doesn't upgrade the file standard or improve anything...it just keeps it exactly as it always was, right down the production line from home studio multi-track machine to your domestic hi-fi. 16-bit, 44.1khz.

If you choose, for your convenience, to convert it to Mp3 on the other hand, the recording quality will be downgraded, sometimes disasterously. Whether you will actually hear the difference or not will depend on your intelligence, your ears and your chosen 'delivery system.' (And how deeply you listen.)
Mp3 players, mobile 'phones and earbuds will degrade just about anything. On the other hand, a pair of high-end hi-fi speakers and a good amp will bring out the very best in the recordings.
Most consumers couldn't give a damn, of course, which is why shit happens.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next