www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 12:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Blip! - SOLD OUT
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:39 am 
Regular

Location: Dreamsville Bureau of Realistic Attributions and Technosurvivalism
Dar 13.1 wrote:
MG wrote:
If anyone wants a copy of BLIP! it is now being sold on Discogs by someone:

http://www.discogs.com/Bill-Nelson-Blip/release/4687355

...who has jacked up the price four-fold.

If anyone's desperate for a copy here is your chance to get raped by profiteering.

I haven't received my copy yet and haven't hear the CD (and don't know if I ever will) but I'm sure there must be one or two people who missed out who would be willing to pay through the nose for it.

Just to be a mega- smartarse... if you're not going to listen to yours , why not sell it on ebay ? :D :wink: :twisted:

Back to being my normal-level smartarse now... 8)
I've actually considered selling my whole collection for maximum profit.... but that was not my point.

My point was not whether I had a copy or was going to on-sell. The point was that, based on the fact that sale of this title was limited to one per customer, whoever is on-selling this on Discogs:

(a) Bought it and did not like it so they are on-selling.

(b) Bought it intentionally knowing that it was a limited edition with the strict intention of profiteering by on-selling.

(c) All of the above.

I'll stick with (b).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:28 pm 
The Citizen

MG wrote:
Bought it intentionally knowing that it was a limited edition with the strict intention of profiteering by on-selling.

After copying the music onto their computer hard-drive, perhaps?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:37 pm 
Regular

Quote:
Media:Mint (M)
Sleeve:Mint (M)
new , shipping in europ 4,50 EUROS

Seller:PINGOIN
Rating: 100.0% positive (44)
Ships From:France

€60.00
(about £50.97)
+ shipping

Whoever PINGOIN is, how many did you ship to France ?

Mint suggests this has not been played or played once.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:47 pm 
Regular

James Ellis wrote:
Quote:
Media:Mint (M)
Sleeve:Mint (M)
new , shipping in europ 4,50 EUROS

Seller:PINGOIN
Rating: 100.0% positive (44)
Ships From:France

€60.00
(about £50.97)
+ shipping

Whoever PINGOIN is, how many did you ship to France ?

Mint suggests this has not been played or played once.

France eh?

Maybe we should send round Mr Izzard.....to have a word :wink: :P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:10 pm 
Regular

MG wrote:
Dar 13.1 wrote:
MG wrote:
If anyone wants a copy of BLIP! it is now being sold on Discogs by someone:

http://www.discogs.com/Bill-Nelson-Blip/release/4687355

...who has jacked up the price four-fold.

If anyone's desperate for a copy here is your chance to get raped by profiteering.

I haven't received my copy yet and haven't hear the CD (and don't know if I ever will) but I'm sure there must be one or two people who missed out who would be willing to pay through the nose for it.

Just to be a mega- smartarse... if you're not going to listen to yours , why not sell it on ebay ? :D :wink: :twisted:

Back to being my normal-level smartarse now... 8)
I've actually considered selling my whole collection for maximum profit.... but that was not my point.

My point was not whether I had a copy or was going to on-sell. The point was that, based on the fact that sale of this title was limited to one per customer, whoever is on-selling this on Discogs:

(a) Bought it and did not like it so they are on-selling.

(b) Bought it intentionally knowing that it was a limited edition with the strict intention of profiteering by on-selling.

(c) All of the above.

I'll stick with (b).

MG,

I realise that the entire Blip! experience has caused you to say and consider doing some extreme things in the last week or so, but your latest post on the one hand draws attention to someone making a profit from a copy of Blip! (assumed by yourself to be a cynical opportunist based on no tangible evidence that I can see) and on the other hand acknowledges that you have considerded selling your "whole collection for maximum profit" (your words).

It seems to me that your hypocrisy (in thought, if not action) undermines whatever point you were trying to make.

I have no particular problem with your stated reaction to Blip/Blip2 - each to their own I say - although I consider that firing a bullet through a CD is a bit drastic (on the plastic :wink: ) and sincerely hope that you change your mind. But its your prerogative to do as you please of course.

If there was another launch party pencilled in for a couple of months I can't see Bill doing anything differently next time - in spite of the comments and threats that have resulted. Such an event costs money to stage and needed a certain amount of support to make it recover those costs to make it worth doing in the first place and personally speaking the enticement to get a copy of Blip2 was exactly the sort of thing that made me purchase a ticket. Of course you can't please all of the people all of the time and I consider myself pretty fortunate to have been close enough to Leeds and to be available on the chosen date to have been able to attend. As I have said elsewhere I didn't even realise that the main release was also limited to the now standard pressing of 500 copies - which I do have mixed (if resigned) feelings about.

In the world we live in - which went rotten a long time before the internet and illegal download sites ever existed - the sort of thing that sems to have upset you so much is so prevalent that I'm not sure what artists can really do to stop it. The genie as they say is out of the bottle.

I'm sure Bill has enough to cope with in maintaining his career, and being so visible on here and being exposed to arguments for and against his actions or decisions just adds to that sense of anxiety at times I would imagine (although he is too polite most of the time to say what he really feels I suspect).

I hope that you feel a bit different when you get to hear the new album, assuming that you do actually give it a listen. But if that is now an irrelvancy for you, then I hope you find something else more positive to counteract your current position.

Thanks for reading.

Mick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:06 pm 
The Citizen

Hopefully, MG's talk of taking a gun to my album was meant as a joke. Guns, in my world, are not particularly funny, but there's no accounting for taste. :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:06 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
Hopefully, MG's talk of taking a gun to my album was meant as a joke. Guns, in my world, are not particularly funny, but there's no accounting for taste. :wink: :lol:

Guns may not be funny but they can be fun :D

Photo courtesy of wadcorp.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:11 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
MG wrote:
Bought it intentionally knowing that it was a limited edition with the strict intention of profiteering by on-selling.

After copying the music onto their computer hard-drive, perhaps?

......... it's not a big step from a computer hard- drive to a peer to peer sharing system.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:31 pm 
Regular

MG wrote:

......... it's not a big step from a computer hard- drive to a peer to peer sharing system.

I just find it hard to believe that a true fan of Bill's music, meaning someone who actively follows his career and would buy his music, would actually share it. I feel these are fringe dwellers, folks who wouldn't purchase a Bill Nelson CD, even if torrent sites never existed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:36 pm 
Regular

stpetelou wrote:
MG wrote:

I just find it hard to believe that a true fan of Bill's music, meaning someone who actively follows his career and would buy his music, would actually share it. I feel these are fringe dwellers, folks who wouldn't purchase a Bill Nelson CD, even if torrent sites never existed.

I totally agree with you.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next