www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Blip! - last few copies
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:11 pm 
Regular

Made me sad :cry: to see all those CDs with lovely music collecting dust, so just broke my piggybank and ordered my long overdue Theatre of Falling Leaves and Gleaming Without Lights :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:19 pm 
Regular

Seriously! Seeing all those old boxes crammed onto those metal shelves like that! Those discs don't deserve to languish in such a back room! :shock: Next payday I'll grab a couple! Keep that box knife handy!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:29 pm 
Regular

Hang on, hang on lads! I've just zoomed in on my fancy iPad and I swear I can see four boxes marked 'Blip' at the bottom of the pile in that last photo!!..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:07 pm 
The Citizen

Andre wrote:
Made me sad to see all those CDs with lovely music collecting dust, so just broke my piggybank and ordered my long overdue Theatre of Falling Leaves and Gleaming Without Lights

Thanks for your custom, Andre, it's very much appreciated! :)

But, if the sight of all those unopened boxes of albums makes you, (and some other fans,) feel sad, I'm sure you can imagine how extremely depressed and down it makes me feel. :cry:

At one time, the music industry touted the phrase, 'home taping is killing music.' But now, digital piracy and file sharing is not just killing the music, it's hurting the artists who work hard to create it directly, especially those independent artists such as myself.

Despite all the rebel yells from some people about dealing a low blow to record companies by ripping off copyrighted music, the real damage these days doesn't stem from mega corporations, but from ill-informed, unthinking and uncaring consumers who are, by condoning illicit file sharing, etc, sucking the lifeblood from those artists whose work they profess to love. It's selfish, short sighted and ultimately damning. You like the work we artists do? Then be good and decent enough to pay us for our hard work and talent.

My message to anyone who has taken such a harmful and heartless route, is, please think carefully about the negative effect of your actions. If you really love the music your favourite artists make, then make sure you're not stealing their dedicated, life's work. More than ever in this neo-barbarian times, art of all kinds needs your attention and support. Many thanks! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:45 pm 
Regular

Your welcome Bill. In actual fact seeing all those boxes made me imagine how depressed and frustrated it must make you feel. It's hard to imagine. :|

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:49 pm 
Regular

My view is an odd one in regard to stealing music... it seems to me if people steal the music they like and leave the rest alone then music publishers looking at numbers see the good stuff sitting on shelves and the crap being sold cause no one bothers to pirate it. So what are they going to produce? They produce what sells, not what is popular enough to be stolen, so we see the results, popular music today is crap, talentless and a joke on the fine musicians who can't sell anything without having the bulk stolen and posted on every weasel website willing to cross the line.
I own over 1000 CD titles and continue to support artists, I have access to all the music I buy as stolen downloads, but as pointed out, if I want to see more of an artists music (or programmer's games) then I must show them there is a market and pay them for all the hard work and dedication required to raise the level to what we expect as consumers.

Bill's fears are justified as can be shown by the number of websites offering his music as illegal downloads, it sickens me to see these parasites, these leeches making a business of ruining others business by stealing their body of work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:02 pm 
Regular

Just placed my order for "Picture Post", as I pretty much have everything else, but had let that one slip by. Didn't want it to become a lost Blip on the radar. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:03 pm 
Regular

I tend to agree with you there. I almost went on a rant on the subject with my last post but, decided, what's the point. It's all been said. All of Bills CD's should sell out at the drop of a hat. Maybe things will change for the better further on down the road. Most of his records sold out up to around 2005, but guess after that there must have started a rampant illegal downloading frenzy.

I can only hope that he will continue to release music for many years to come. The world is a better place with Model Villages and Blossom Tree Optimists ! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:33 pm 
The Citizen

Prey wrote:
Bill's fears are justified as can be shown by the number of websites offering his music as illegal downloads, it sickens me to see these parasites, these leeches making a business of ruining others business by stealing their body of work.

To be honest, I don't go looking for illegal or 'illicit' websites, so I have no absolute idea how many of them are stealing my music. (It's usually fans who inform me of these things.)

I personally have no interest in obtaining music for 'free' because, as an artist, I know first hand how precarious and stressful the life of a professional musician is and how destructive or negative the contemporary pursuit of free music is...(particularly at my time of life when there are no feather-bed retirement schemes in place to cushion the blow.)

I strongly believe that I should purchase any music I want to hear by legitimate means so that the art of music and the work of good musicians can continue into the future without being swamped by mainstream mediocrity. It's a struggle which requires a certain amount of faith in the better side of human nature, and certainly a dedication and belief in the power of music to contribute to the intellectual and spiritual health of society.

Yet, despite this, despite all the technology, despite the apparent variety of choices on offer, idiot brain cells seem to predominate...It's a sad realisation that short-sightedness and greed powers the engines of industry.
Well, to hell with it. Ultimately we will get what we deserve. But those yay-sayers who roll over and give in to this corrupt and ugly vision of 'the future' will be the first to reap the whirlwind.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:10 pm 
Regular

Sometimes I feel we are drunk on instant gratification and all too willing to play along with the status quo, if it can be justified by some law, or lack there of. The lines between what everything even is are blurring. Some people think all information should be shared freely, and their definition of information can be anything. Its all just words, or sounds, or images after all. Information. How do we make information free and still make sure those who work hard to create get their due? Sadly I think you are but one casualty of a changing world Bill. Caught in a sort of nether realm because things haven't shifted fully.

Perhaps eventually there will be no "jobs" to do. Assuming we can break free of our societal caste systems and classes we may find that we no longer have a need for money. People will begin to care less about physical superficial things and begin to shift their focus to more cerebral or artistic endeavors. When there is no need for money people like you can create and create to their hearts content and never have to worry about such things. The common man will no longer be held back from enjoying the culture of the world because they simply can't afford to absorb it. Question is would such a relative lack of adversity make for good art? Worked for the Renaissance? :wink:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next