www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: BILL NELSON HEPWORTH GALLERY CONCERT: TICKET/BOOKING INFO.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:36 pm 
The Citizen

Yesterday I visited the new annexe of Wakefield's award winning Hepworth Gallery to view the space where I will be performing a solo concert on the 20th of September, this year.

This new annexe is situated in an old textile mill on the banks of the river Calder and is still in the process of being converted but will be ready in time for my performance on 20th September. I believe this annexe will be known as 'The Calder' and I'm honoured to be the first artist to perform there.

The concert is being staged to raise funds for the completion of a renovation project at Wakefield's Unity Hall, a building with a lot of history and with sentimental attachments to myself and my mother and father. My father played at The Unity Hall with his own band in the late 1940s, early '50s and I performed there with my own bands in the 1960s and also with Be Bop Deluxe in the early '70s.

In more recent years, the building was used by Bretton Hall music students and I have given talks to them there. When the music faculty moved out of the building and into Leeds University, the Unity Hall was left in a state of disrepair and a project was begun to try and renovate the building and develop it as a major music venue. I was approached by the people in charge to see if I would give a concert to raise funds to help the final stages of the project. As the building has such a strong connection to my childhood, I agreed to do something to help, hence the concert at The Hepworth annexe.

The performance will consist of a selection of my live solo instrumental guitar improvisations, accompanied by video projections. I'm still working on what pieces might best suit the location/venue but it will be as site-specific as possible, taking into account the time limitations/ constraints of current work commitments, etc... I'll try to keep you informed as things develop.

It promises to be an interesting event, not least because it will be the first time I've performed in my birthplace of Wakefield for many years.

So, here are some links which may prove useful.

First of all, here's the link which will enable you to purchase TICKETS to the event. They are on sale NOW :

http://www.seetickets.com/event/bill-ne ... eld/729426

And here is a Facebook link to the Unity Hall restoration project itself:

http://www.facebook.com/UnityHall

And another link:

http://www.unityhallwakefield.co.uk/

And one more:

http://www.unityhallwakefield.co.uk/about-unity-hall

I hope that as many of you as possible will be able to support the concert by attending. You will also have an opportunity to see the fabulous Hepworth Gallery and visit the city where I was born. Hope to see you there! :wink: :D

Post subject: Re: BILL NELSON HEPWORTH GALLERY CONCERT: TICKET/BOOKING INF
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:14 pm 
Regular

Looks good Mr N,

For those of us who might travel from London/further away does anyone know of good Hotels/B&B's in Wakefield if we stay overnight ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:48 pm 
Regular

Any idea what the venue capacity is Bill ? Is it standing or seated ?
The ticket site blurb says that Be Bop used to rehearse in this mill, is this right ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:02 pm 
The Citizen

Geetar Homer wrote:
Any idea what the venue capacity is Bill ? Is it standing or seated ?
The ticket site blurb says that Be Bop used to rehearse in this mill, is this right ?

Not sure about capacity as the venue is still a 'work in progress' but I would imagine at least around 200 people could be accomodated. We've asked for seating to be put out on the day in a semi-circular arrangement. It's an old textile mill with no permanent stage 'though I understand that they will set up a stage-like platform of some sort for me to perform on.
And yes, many years ago, the building was part of an industrial complex where first generation Be Bop used to rehearse.

But do keep checking on the Hepworth and Unity Hall sites as that is where you'll find the best information. And don't hesitate to ask them questions if you need to know more. I'm merely the artist on this one, not the organiser. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:04 pm 
The Citizen

Forgot to mention: Someone said they'd had problems getting the ticket website up. Here's another link in case anyone has experienced difficulty:

http://www.seetickets.com/event/unity-h ... eld/729426"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:29 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
And yes, many years ago, the building was part of an industrial complex where first generation Be Bop used to rehearse.

Cool, i'll add it to the 'Heritage Trail' :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:16 pm 
Regular

2 tickets booked look forward to seeing everyone there :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:24 pm 
Regular

I'm in. :D

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:08 pm 
New in Town

Cant be there as unfortunately I have to be in LA for a couple of pop concerts, but have bought 3 tickets for freinds who have never seen Bill. Im sure they will be delighted!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:53 pm 
Regular

Location: Dreamsville Bureau of Realistic Attributions and Technosurvivalism
Bill Nelson? Art gallery? Bill Nelson in art gallery?

Sounds great.

Have fun.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next