www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 'ALBION DREAM VORTEX': THE LISTENING NOTES.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:06 am 
Regular

Yeah, as soon as I came out of my dark time I realized I would always appreciate it for the perspective it gives me. I own, intergrate , and embrace all of what I am, but have learned how to discern and decide which parts I want to focus on and emphasize . Works for me :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:30 pm 
Regular

Quote:
I lean towards the idea that everything exists first as an idea (Hermetic), dreams in the mind of God (Christian) , and/or Universal Mind .

Dar, that is very much like Plato and his theory of forms. I admit that I am sympathetic to Plato and his ideas. I believe that numbers are an indication of another world, a supernatural world that we tap into with our minds. And this supernatural world is not just in our heads, so that if everybody on the planet dies 2+2=4 would not exist because there would be nobody to think it. No, 2+2=4 will continue to exist because, though we can't see number in the physical word, numbers govern reality: physical reality is modeled around those entities and relationships. The truth is 2+2=4 does not change, does not come into and go out of existence like things in this world. Therefore, numbers are not of this world and they have an existential priority and perfection that supersedes anything in our world. Our material bodies come into existence and leave existence but that doesn't mean that is all we are -- crudely put as bowls of chemical soup -- there is something in us a kin to the supernatural world of numbers that will continue to exist after death. And that is why we understand numbers. There is something eternal in us and Plato in his Ion points out that our knowledge of this other world comes about through "remembering." Why remembering? The answer is because we've been there before.

It's fascinating but numbers for me represent one of the best arguments for the possibility of supernatural worlds (e.g., Heaven) and yet we use numbers everyday without thinking what it is we're dealing with. It is right under our nose and we don't see it -- just like a colorful flower against a drab sky may be under our nose and we don't see the new horizon or vista open up towards the mystic.

Side note: digital technology breaks up the analogue sound wave through representing tiny slices of the wave form as numbers (1s & 0s) and reconstitutes the wave elsewhere (for example, in stereo speakers of people who buy CDs). What if they can do that with people: convert them into numbers and reconstitute them elsewhere (say across town). What a great way of traveling! But suppose, if you where converted into numbers, you went to the supernatural world of numbers... what would you see? Numbers riding roller coasters, equations on Ferris Wheels, a whole amusement park of numbers having fun! OK, I'm getting carried away...

This takes me back to Orpheus. I was thinking about Orpheus in Utraland and what that would mean? Would Orpheus end up on American Idol seducing the judges, would he feel at home in our fast-paced schizophrenic society? Would life be grey, drab and hellish so that he would buy a colorful flower (named Eurydice) and open himself up to the mystic? I don't know. The important thing is that Love conquers Death and I think, despite his human flaws & foibles, Orpheus would be on the side of LOVE (and a great lover of math). :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:15 pm 
Regular

Oops... (and a great lover of math and flowers). :D :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:27 pm 
Regular

Interesting . Maybe just a step further (or not as far)...numbers are what we use to express the relationships between things ? . The relationships and interactions between things being what gives them life and energy .
The things and people which come and go being temporary, static waveforms , which will fall apart when the infinitely complex arrangements of relationships (moderated by the unseen number -keeping forces ) stop operating in the physical realm (?).

I'm not quite on board with numbers /math being the root of all , but maybe we're on about the same thing anyway . The fundamental attributes of anything that's manifested , naturl or supernatural (aside from the ultimate all/nothing/whatever/void/God/BugsBunny) , can presumably(mostly) be boiled down to sets of 'laws' or 'principles', some mysteriously-created ways of being that objects and energies just can't help but to operate under .
(speaking of math and flowers)

Like geometry , sacred geometry to some, and the specific branch : polyhedra. How did it get decided that the only way to divide a 3-dimensionally symmetrical space up into an object with 20 exact faces was with the icosahedron ?. Not me :shock: but I like playing with them . The one pictured is based on the hexahedron (cube) . But do a little bit of curvy stuff to the cubes faces and you get a nice Flower of Life motif (inside the circle/sphere/cube that is the star's center)

And music.... why does the major triad work so well with our brains and psyches? . How do the vibrations of sound in air transform into electrical impulses in our brains that affect us so deeply?. What the heck is really going on here ? . It is more than just 2+2

PS, don't worry about hijacking the thread; Bill should be busy, off working on the next
set of waveforms :arrow: :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:53 pm 
Regular

The notes are a lovely addition to the album Bill - thanks so much.

Peter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:06 pm 
Regular

I've only had the chance to listen to ADV twice so far, and I really like what I'm hearing!

I also appreciate the listening notes, as they give us an insight into Bill's thoughts and intentions for the music. My only wish is that the listening notes be included in the cd package, much like the liner notes of days past. I know that he has done this in the past on albums like Gleaming Without Lights, but I would like to see this with every release. That way, we don't have to go to our computers and search for the notes.

How about it Bill? Would you consider including the listening notes somewhere in future releases? Then again, I wouldn't want to sacrifice any of the wonderful artwork or photography you include, but since you don't include lyrics, can we make room for the listening notes?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:37 pm 
The Citizen

swampboy wrote:
How about it Bill? Would you consider including the listening notes somewhere in future releases? Then again, I wouldn't want to sacrifice any of the wonderful artwork or photography you include, but since you don't include lyrics, can we make room for the listening notes?

Unfortunately, it all comes down to cost. The digi-packs I occasionally issue, (for albums which I feel deserve that extra bit of presentation,) actually cost double the amount of a standard jewel case package. Which means that I lose half of my income from a digi-pack album just by choosing that particular format.

I won't labour the point but, when you consider the difficulties I encounter in shifting small production runs of jewel-cased CDs these days, adding even more costly pages of listening notes or lyrics to an already expensive package just doesn't make sense. Blame it on the economy, internet piracy, file-sharing, the general dumbing down and lack of demand for 'outsider' music, whatever...but the harsh reality is I can only take so much of a kicking before music becomes something I can no longer afford to give my life to.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to give you all stunning, lavishly produced package designs. God knows I've had so many ambitious but, sadly, unfulfilled ideas over the years...Believe me, it's not for lack of imagination or creative ambition. In these digitally philistine times it has, to a greater degree, become more a matter of enforced survival than an issue of creative freedom. What that says about our society's respect for contemporary music and the artists who contribute to our nation's cultural wealth doesn't bear thinking about...but think about it we must.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:37 pm 
Regular

Thanks for the reply! I really like the listening notes, and I was hoping that there was a way to access them without having to fire up the old computer. I realize cost is the main consideration.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:34 am 
Regular

Maybe the listening notes could be had as a download?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:12 pm 
Regular

Bill - i love those "mysterious goods" that you've brought us for fourty + years. thank you so much. there really are no words (yet) to express the wild joy your music brings. tom

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next