www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 'THE GOLDEN DAYS OF RADIO' now has a video!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:17 pm 
Regular

alec wrote:
MondoJohnny wrote:
Music videos!!

That first person running up the stairs I thought was James Dean and then I thought of Marlon Brando in 'The Wild One', which is forever in my mind as 'The Wild Bunch' ...

I think you will find that it is Richard Harris in the film 'This Sporting Life'

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:21 pm 
Regular

DWGBG wrote:

I think you will find that it is Richard Harris in the film 'This Sporting Life'

Indeed. Thank you, DWGBG.

And I watched that film not that long ago. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:35 pm 
Regular

One of my favourite of all Bill's songs given the treatment it deserves. Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:53 pm 
The Citizen

DWGBG wrote:

Well spotted...indeed it is Richard Harris in 'This Sporting Life.' And why? Well, because 'This Sporting Life' was filmed in my birthplace of Wakefield, West Yorkshire, around the same period that I used to go dancing at the 'Mecca' Locarno ballroom where that particular scene was filmed.
I used to walk up those same stairs that Richard Harris runs up in the clip. I would take a table, (with my school chum Ian Parkin,) on the balcony right in front of where Richard Harris stops to view the dance floor below.

Ian and I would listen to the music emanating from the venue's Altec Lansing speakers and observe the girls dancing together below. We would then try to get up the courage to wander downstairs and hover at the edge of the dancefloor whilst trying to catch the eye of our chosen 'targets for tonight.' :wink: :lol:

I actually met one of my girlfriends of that era on that very dancefloor. Her name was Lynne. I thought she resembled Judith Durham from the 'New Seekers' group at that time, sort of typical dolly-bird hair with Cathy McGowan fringe, black n' white mod shoes and black PVC mac. After that dance, I walked her to the bus stop at the top of Westgate and asked if she would like to go to the 'pictures' later in the week. She accepted and we became a couple for quite a while. I was still a young art student back then. Relatively innocent but warmly remembered times. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:37 am 
Regular

So - there was a girl, once, in Art School.

Art imitating life. :wink: :arrow:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:57 am 
Regular

Great video and love those melodies. It was good to see your hands playing guitar. Show yourself singing if you make another one. Time has traced it's tracks over most of our faces so it's ok.

Hip-gnosis! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:24 am 
Regular

That was marvellous. Another Bill Nelson "feel good" production! Thank you, Bill.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:46 am 
The Citizen

soteloscope wrote:
It was good to see your hands playing guitar. Show yourself singing if you make another one.

The reason you only see the guitar and my hands is because my studio is so tiny I can't get my video camera far enough back to get all of me into the shot, plus, of course, it was all about the guitar solo anyway. :) I think a head and shoulders shot of me miming to the lyrics wouldn't have fitted with the concept. Far more interesting to see the found images and the references to the lyrics with Elvis, Duane Eddy, Scotty Moore, popping up, etc. It works as a way to get into the heart and soul of the lyrics for me. :wink: :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:53 pm 
Regular

Thanks for the reply, Bill. Yes, I understand the concept. It's cool to see where you used to hang out at that Locarno place.
You're up there with Scotty Moore, Jimi, Chuck Berry, Maurice Deebank, etc. for me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:32 pm 
Regular

I was just wondering if all the copyrights for the film samples were cleared...............

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next