www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 'THE GOLDEN DAYS OF RADIO' now has a video!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:45 pm 
Regular

Great video.....love all those girls spinning around in their outfits - beats leggings and thongs any day I reckon....reminded me of Sue's avatars :wink:

Speaking of This Sporting Life,I recently bought a copy to go with all the other wonderful 'Kitchen Sink' films acquired over the years.....a truly great film that....gritty and powerful that one and no mistake....

Talking of those films,a few years ago I passed Murray Melvin (of A Taste of Honey fame) walking past Stratford East Theatre - he's a curator of it so I believe ,from a Radio 4 interview with him.He was well into his seventies then but still cut a striking figure - unmistakable.....I didn't have the guts to stop him to say hello.....not good at that sort of thing - bad enough meeting Bill for the first time nerves wise..... :oops:

.....apologies for the digression from the original thread but a bit of digression never hurt anyone......too much :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:49 am 
The Citizen

huehnerklein wrote:
I was just wondering if all the copyrights for the film samples were cleared...

Were you now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:31 am 
Regular

paul.smith wrote:
Great video.....love all those girls spinning around in their outfits - beats leggings and thongs any day I reckon....reminded me of Sue's avatars :wink:

Speaking of This Sporting Life,I recently bought a copy to go with all the other wonderful 'Kitchen Sink' films acquired over the years.....a truly great film that....gritty and powerful that one and no mistake....

Talking of those films,a few years ago I passed Murray Melvin (of A Taste of Honey fame) walking past Stratford East Theatre - he's a curator of it so I believe ,from a Radio 4 interview with him.He was well into his seventies then but still cut a striking figure - unmistakable.....I didn't have the guts to stop him to say hello.....not good at that sort of thing - bad enough meeting Bill for the first time nerves wise..... :oops:

.....apologies for the digression from the original thread but a bit of digression never hurt anyone......too much :wink:

For me it was a glimpse of the Art Deco Babes towards the end!!
Also , Love ALL The ''Kitchen Sinks' Every LAST One of em' :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:56 am 
Regular

and the sync sound with the Be Bop Deluxe-era solo ... 8)

Chuck Berry's funny walk ... :lol: 8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:44 am 
Regular

Bloody marvellous!! (scuse my French) 8) :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:48 pm 
Regular

Re: 'I was just wondering if all the copyrights for the film samples were cleared.'

Absolutely agree with this enquiry. BN does not like his own work being stolen or appropriated yet does not seem to mind stealing other people's in this instance. I hope the clips are now out of copyright.

On two other points:

1. The videogram is not well made and uses lots of cliché Final Cut Pro transition filters and bad typography - stuff that no one in their right mind would go near. It looks like a goddamn Powerpoint presentation!

2. The song is the worst possible choice for advertising the contemporary BN. Why would people want to hear the name BeBopDeluxe name-checked in the lyrics? It is all too obvious and seems firmly rooted in the past, citing those influences so straightforwardly. Plus it ain't a good tune (IMO)!

Sorry everyone, rant over. Don't worry, I am excluding myself from this forum from now on. But I do think quality control has gone out the window with this proliferation of recent BN releases.

Frogman out.
PS adored your earlier stuff, BN.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:52 pm 
Regular

Location: Dreamsville Bureau of Realistic Attributions and Technosurvivalism
Frogman wrote:
Sorry everyone, rant over. Don't worry, I am excluding myself from this forum from now on.

Why?

Because you think that, by having a negative opinion, you have less right to an opinion here than anyone else?

Do you fear that, by having a negative opinion, you are going to get flack from others about it... if so that's their problem not yours.

Your opinions are as valid as anyone else's.... in my opinion.

That's my two cents worth on the matter........

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:59 pm 
Regular

I do disagree. I think its clever and its not as if Bill Nelson packaged it and tried to sell it to you! Its just a little video! C'mon, don't be so dramatic.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:29 pm 
Regular

Not only that but there is a huge difference between fondly referencing something from days past with some clips and mass pirating of an album. Those are not equivalent.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:33 pm 
Regular

All good points ...

Just have to say that this listener doesn't understand the era-specific Bill Nelson listener.

From 'Northern Dream' to 'The Sparkle Machine' it's all one long beam.

And Bill's always been confronting clichés and altering them, mutating them, combining them in weird and wonderful ways, making them his own.

'Things never stablise,
Some things never change
I never finalise or formalise,
I only rearrange
' ...

For me a mini manifesto within a manifesto ...

He already told us back in 1980, in 'Rooms With Brittle Views' ... a song that has what -- to this listener -- sounds quite a bit like Ska or Reggae rhythm guitar ...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next