www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 9:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: THE RETURN OF 'SAILOR BILL' AND 'NEPTUNE'S GALAXY!'
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:17 pm 
The Citizen

loversaremortal wrote:
8) :D :lol: THANK YOU BILL...So pleased that its possible to download...great news...wonder if your visits to the Lancashire coast played a part in your work.... :shock: :o :( :roll:

Well, yes...childhood visits to Blackpool and Southport were an inspiration too, particularly promenade lights, end of pier theatres, illuminated trams and seaside fun fairs. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:40 pm 
New in Town

Hello, Bill.
Considering that Esoteric Recordings has been reissuing a good deal of your past albums, and that I prefer physical media to digital files, before I download I would like to ask if there's a chance that these two albums will be reissued in the near future?
Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:59 pm 
Regular

Here's my personal opinion on Bill's foray into the digital download arena; if we can further support Bill's livelihood and future endeavors buy purchasing downloads of now out-of-print (and rare) music, then it's totally Win-Win. If these particular discs become available as produced CDs, somewhere down the road, even better, and I'll cue up to buy those.

Yep, finances are tight, everyone's had to keep a keener eye on the wallet, but directly supporting an artist that we all respect, cherish and simply love to hear new output is important to me, and part of my budget.

I saw no question regarding purchasing the downloads, as I was happy that it would be forwarding a (small) bit of money to Bill. I'll do the same if he decides to release Neptune's and Sailor Bill as the once proposed double CD. I encourage everyone to click over to Bill's Bandcamp page and start adding a few items to your shopping cart!

Thanks, Bill, as I've had a great time this weekend, listening to both of these works!

Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:46 pm 
The Citizen

dom wrote:
Hello, Bill.
Considering that Esoteric Recordings has been reissuing a good deal of your past albums, and that I prefer physical media to digital files, before I download I would like to ask if there's a chance that these two albums will be reissued in the near future?
Thank you.

There are no plans to re-issue these two albums in physical form at the moment. Also, anything recorded post 2000 does not come under the Esoteric licensing deal for cd re-issues.

I agree that it would be nice to re-issue these in physical form, perhaps as a double album set with expanded artwork and a digi-pack format but, unfortunately, the cost of manufacturing something along those lines and the fact that minimum quantities required by the pressing plant have to be 1000 copies, (for that sort of packaging,) makes it economically impractical.
I cannot imagine there being enough people in my fan base to buy them, (keeping in mind that the majority of fans already have the original CDs or are availing themselves of the recent digital download re-issues.)

It seems that digital download re-issues are the only solution to the out-of-print album problem at this point in time. It's a compromise in some ways, but it's better than nothing and it certainly provides a much more affordable option than paying extortionate ebay prices for second hand CDs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:41 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
...it's better than nothing and it certainly provides a much more affordable option than paying extortionate ebay prices for second hand CDs.

So Right! Much rather have Mr. Nelson receive profits for a digital reissue than read about a secondary reseller reaping a better share than Bill initially received for a disc. I say, "Bring on the downloads!", and let's all support Bill with some purchases, whether we want the "physical" or not.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:07 am 
New in Town

Bill Nelson wrote:
There are no plans to re-issue these two albums in physical form at the moment. Also, anything recorded post 2000 does not come under the Esoteric licensing deal for cd re-issues.

I agree that it would be nice to re-issue these in physical form, perhaps as a double album set with expanded artwork and a digi-pack format but, unfortunately, the cost of manufacturing something along those lines and the fact that minimum quantities required by the pressing plant have to be 1000 copies, (for that sort of packaging,) makes it economically impractical.
I cannot imagine there being enough people in my fan base to buy them, (keeping in mind that the majority of fans already have the original CDs or are availing themselves of the recent digital download re-issues.)

It seems that digital download re-issues are the only solution to the out-of-print album problem at this point in time. It's a compromise in some ways, but it's better than nothing and it certainly provides a much more affordable option than paying extortionate ebay prices for second hand CDs.

Thank you so much for answering and for all the information.
I have, by the way, taken Roger's advice and downloaded both albums earlier today.
If the CDs should ever be reissued, I'll be happy to get those too. :D

Just to set one thing straight: I'm not against downloads, but if I can choose between a download and a CD I'll go for the CD.
Cheerio.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:35 am 
Regular

It's great to see that the download strategy is working for Bill. By circumventing the logistical bumps caused by manufacturing requirements, the musical material can make its way to the listener with minimal middlemen. I'm glad that Bandcamp offers FLAC (rather than just lossy formats) and lets users get the complete artwork too (as opposed to a crummy little JPEG).

Now I just need to save a bunch of pennies to download the recent flood of Bill Nelson digital releases :!:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:14 pm 
Regular

Dom, Bravo, Sir! I'm hoping that your having as much fun as I am listening to these two great works!

Cheers, my friend,
Roger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:39 pm 

Puzzleoyster wrote:
hi Bill
re neptunes galaxy on bandcamp

don't want to be poop here, as this announcement is fantastic news! but it might be helpful for title reasons for all newcomers especially, if the last track is renamed as theres a typo i spotted with my beady eye :lol:

5. ship-in-a-bottle-blues-the-modern-marnier

should read Mariner :wink:

THIS TYPO HAS NOW BEEN CORRECTED.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:43 pm 
New in Town

Both great albums but Sailor Bill is still one of the best

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next