www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: New CD - Fantastic Guitars
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:14 pm 
Offline
The Citizen
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:40 pm
Posts: 14185
major snagg wrote:
Well, here it is; I'm happy to say that The penny has finally dropped regarding 'Fantastic Guitars'
I was much too eager to write-off this CD for some reason, unknown to even myself ? :? :oops: . I really don't know what came over me. I probably shouldn't have listened to it for the very first time in my car on the way somewhere. That was a big mistake on my part. It's a case of, "How to listen, and how not to". I get it, now that I've sat down comfortably with plenty of free time and no distractions around me. It's strange, but now it sounds like a different album to the one I didn't listen to before. So, there's a lesson to all of us (well, me in particular) ... listen 'properly'
This is a great album full of very interesting interplay and variations on the main melody and themes.
The only tune I don't yet understand is, track 5, Ghosts
Behind Glass
. So, 10 out of 11 ain't bad.


Very pleased to hear that, Major! And I'm not surprised that 'Ghosts Behind Glass' has proved challenging. It's the most deliberately experimental/avant-garde track on the album in some ways...one for outer limits listeners (and 'Wire' magazine readers.) :wink: :) But the other tracks will prove much less confrontational, particularly the more listening time you devote to them. Anyway, many thanks for persevering! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New CD - Fantastic Guitars
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:45 am 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 5:14 pm
Posts: 465
Location: The Great Northwest
major snagg wrote:
Well, here it is; I'm happy to say that The penny has finally dropped regarding 'Fantastic Guitars'
I was much too eager to write-off this CD for some reason, unknown to even myself ? :? :oops: . I really don't know what came over me. I probably shouldn't have listened to it for the very first time in my car on the way somewhere. That was a big mistake on my part. It's a case of, "How to listen, and how not to". I get it, now that I've sat down comfortably with plenty of free time and no distractions around me. It's strange, but now it sounds like a different album to the one I didn't listen to before. So, there's a lesson to all of us (well, me in particular) ... listen 'properly'
This is a great album full of very interesting interplay and variations on the main melody and themes.
The only tune I don't yet understand is, track 5, Ghosts Behind Glass. So, 10 out of 11 ain't bad.


Yes, "Ghosts Behind Glass" was the most challenging to me as well. But it did eventually click and now I almost look forward to track 5 as the tunes are spinning :D

_________________
"A boy dreams of spacesuits, planets, and stars
Rockets and heroes, journeys to Mars
and several years later, electric guitars"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New CD - Fantastic Guitars
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:39 pm 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 4:03 pm
Posts: 489
Well, I absolutely love this album. A Guitar work without tired blues licks, with some spine tingling moments and a bit of hooliganism thrown in.

It's been a while my friends since I've felt compelled to play air guitar but "Coda Kings" took me away. "A Brilliant Night For Rain", and a brilliant night for buddies to Jam too by the sound of it, Jeff Beck-ish in places! Non cheesy, non metal rock guitar. And "Ghosts Behind Glass" had me smiling from ear to ear, one of the highlights I think. It's one of those rare CD's that seems to be over too soon. Can't wait for the follow up!

I can't stop playing it, only my other recent purchase, the marvellous "Signals From Realms Of Light" is competing with it. With every release Bills playing seems more confident and extrovert, always evolving. Kudos to Reeves as well, must have been daunting for him to play guitar with his hero, I'm quite impressed!

Thanks for the music guys! 8)

TC

_________________
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New CD - Fantastic Guitars
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:18 pm 
Offline
The Citizen
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:40 pm
Posts: 14185
Twilightcapers wrote:
With every release Bills playing seems more confident and extrovert, always evolving. Kudos to Reeves as well, must have been daunting for him to play guitar with his hero,


Not half as daunting as it was for me to play guitar sitting next to Reeves! :lol: (By the way, there's a really nice review of the album in the latest print-issue of 'Classic Rock' magazine.) :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New CD - Fantastic Guitars
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:31 pm 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 4:03 pm
Posts: 489
I don't usually buy Classic Rock magazine, but I'll check it out. At least they're acknowledging your recent work as well as the classic stuff. Haven't seen a review in a guitar magazine yet, I'm sure their readership would appreciate this album too.

_________________
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New CD - Fantastic Guitars
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:49 pm 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:22 am
Posts: 667
Location: San Diego/Tijuana
Image

Well, look who decided to join the party today :mrgreen:

_________________
RateYourMusic: https://rateyourmusic.com/~WalterDigsTunes
Lastfm: http://www.last.fm/user/WalterDigsTunes
Tumblr: http://ijustmakepizzapies.tumblr.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New CD - Fantastic Guitars
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:00 pm 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 5:14 pm
Posts: 465
Location: The Great Northwest
WalterDigsTunes wrote:
Image

Well, look who decided to join the party today :mrgreen:


WOW! Where to start first?! Fantastic Guitars of course 8)

_________________
"A boy dreams of spacesuits, planets, and stars
Rockets and heroes, journeys to Mars
and several years later, electric guitars"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New CD - Fantastic Guitars
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:16 pm 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:02 pm
Posts: 20981
Location: Kansas City: not in Kansas.
Mr. Fancy, Fantastic Planet Villages of Golden Falling Leaves

.

_________________
"I'm a man of vision… and I like what I see."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New CD - Fantastic Guitars
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:46 am 
Offline
Regular

Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:03 am
Posts: 6465
wadcorp wrote:
Mr. Fancy, Fantastic Planet Villages of Golden Falling Leaves

.

In an alternate dimension, I post only in Bill Nelson CD titles, song names, and lyrics.

_________________
It's been fun !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New CD - Fantastic Guitars
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:22 pm 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:59 pm
Posts: 194
Location: Atlanta USA
Bill Nelson wrote:
And I'm not surprised that 'Ghosts Behind Glass' has proved challenging. It's the most deliberately experimental/avant-garde track on the album in some ways...one for outer limits listeners (and 'Wire' magazine readers.)


Hmmm, I was surprised that there weren't more tracks like "Ghosts Behind Glass". That was pretty much what I was expecting...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group