www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Mon May 27, 2019 4:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: New CD - Quiet Bells ON SALE
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:48 pm 
Regular

Nice work there, Mr N. :wink: More photography from you would not be unwelcomed in the least.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:57 am 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
felixt1 wrote:
The Fields Beyond Inspired by Bill's home perhaps....

Most probably...the photograph on the back cover of the album, (with the tree and landscape,) was taken by me, only a few yards away from my house.

Incidentally, the interior photo's of the Buddha statue, (with Emi's flowers,) and the Carp pond, (Plus the dragonfly image to the right of it,) are my photo's too. :wink:

That's cool 8)

The lure of an open space, close to home, is always strong in my view.The endless posibility of the great beyond......which your music encapsulates perfectly 8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:18 am 
Regular

And when the roses are half-bud soft flowers
And lovely as the king of flies has come
It was a fleeting visit, all too brief
In three short minutes, he had been and gone

He rested there upon an apple leaf
A gorgeous opal crown sat on his head
Although the garden is a lovely place
Was it worthy of so fine a guest

DRAGONFLY-FLEETWOOD MAC

I Had A one off 3 hours with my one and only dragonfly in my garden in the suburbs of Yorks 2010 and i was indeed delighted to welcome him in to my garden i felt a bit honoured if i may say

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:34 pm 
Regular

Purchase complete.

I've skipped the last few offerings ; samples just didn't tickle my transcendental tittycups , if I may be so bold as to confess. Perhaps because I'm a bit of an instrumentalist ... but it's more than that .
I'm a hard person to please , musically , which I may have mentioned a few dozen times here .

So , I wasn't expecting to be dazzled when I went to listen to the QB samples. I was getting excited about the upcoming 'Painting' cd's , and kind of holding off buying any Bill until then .

Needless to say (but I need to say it anyway ! :shock: ) , I was/am completely wrong about QB. There are times when new music hits hard right away , in the right places , and usually it's only one or two, and then I end up liking more , or not . QB sounds like it will be a wealth of
deeply beautiful guitar magnificence . As if recent cds have been shooting out in directions that just miss me , but in these samples it sounds like everything lines up in my direction . Excited for it to get here 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:46 pm 
Regular

Location: Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire, West of The Rhubarb Triangle
This CD took only 3 days to arrive. Very fast service again from SOS. :D
I like the artwork for once ! :) I can detect sonic similarities between this CD and Dreamboat To Starboard Although the music on this album hasn't been expertly 'damaged' like it is on the Dreamboat To Starboard CD. Nonetheless it 'lives' in a parallel universe to it. There are only a couple of points I'd like to raise though. Having just given the impression that I like 'Dreamboat... CD a lot (I do), I personally don't really enjoy the sound effect of the added 'crackle' of a scratched LP. I don't think this sound effect adds anything to your recordings. It detracts something from it for me. I always find myself thinking, "why has he added the sound of a scratched record to this?". I'm tempted to miss those tracks out. Sorry, but that's my opinion and I guess other fans will strongly disagree?
So yes, I like it. However, with CDs like this, I find that it's best to play about 6 tracks at time. Just like chocolates, it's best to only eat a few at a time and not the whole box. I venture to suggest that these tracks might 'work' better between vocal tracks on a CD. All these ambient instrumentals on one CD is pretty hard going. Ah well, there you have it. Great sounds from the new guitar processor, and this time just one guitar !

http://www.soundclick.com/archiveavenue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:19 pm 
Regular

Location: Florida (sitting by the window, in a house at the end of time)
I'm still waiting around for Quiet Bells, so the other day I listened, once again, to Dreamland To Starboard. I don't recall much, if any, of the "scratched record" sound on that album. I think Bill describes it best in this segment of his own liner notes from Dreamland To Starboard:
"Many of the pieces incorporate electrical static, digital artefacts, radio frequency shifts, etc. as a textural element, a 'patina' accumulated as if these recordings were antiques from the future...something that a boy of the 1950's may have dug up in his parent's back garden and found dated as being from the 21st Century."
I love that description, and I think Bill did exactly what he set out to do on that album. It's always been one of my favorites, and since Bill, possibly in another thread, and now major snagg, have mentioned Dreamland To Starboard when talking about Quiet Bells, it makes me even more anxious to get the latter. I'm just waiting for the postman.
I know that Bill does used the "scratched record" sound at times, but it usually comes in about the right time, in my opinion. I think if Bill took direction from any of us, his music would lose much of its glimmer. :wink: :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:51 pm 
Regular

major snagg wrote:
why has he added the sound of a scratched record to this?"[/i][/color]. I'm tempted to miss those tracks out. Sorry, but that's my opinion and I guess other fans will strongly disagree?

I look at it as emotional enhancement.

In the film world sound effects can greatly enhance the impact of a scene.

To me that's what Bill is doing when he uses something like this, it's simply an added layer.

Bill's use of sounds on the SAILOR BILL album adds SO much to the experience.

As much as I love almost everything Bill has done, that album conjures the strongest feelings for me. Each listen feels like an out of body voyage.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:51 am 
Regular

Location: Dreamsville Bureau of Realistic Attributions and Technosurvivalism
It's just arrived in this morning's post.

Yay!

Unfortunately I won't be able to spin it now until I get back from the city this arvo.

Thank you SOS for you continuing wonderful service! :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5