www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Quiet Bells - SOLD OUT
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:12 pm 
Regular

Location: Dreamsville Bureau of Realistic Attributions and Technosurvivalism
Wow! That was quick!

Bill Nelson wrote:
There is already a copy, marked as 'mint', for sale on e-bay. Obviously someone trying to make a profit from the sold out nature of the album, but don't be tempted, there will, eventually, be a much cheaper download version available from my Bandcamp page...not immediately, but eventually. So, patience will reward you! :wink:

:roll:

I wonder who the seller is.................. again greed is not good.

:roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:43 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
There is already a copy, marked as 'mint', for sale on e-bay. Obviously someone trying to make a profit from the sold out nature of the album, but don't be tempted, there will, eventually, be a much cheaper download version available from my Bandcamp page...not immediately, but eventually. So, patience will reward you! :wink:

Actually there are now three copies on ebay; one priced at US $140.00 and two listed as a "limited edition/sold out" which I would have to assume have gone up since this thread was posted..........

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bill-Nelson- ... 25a27a0362

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BILL-NELSON- ... 339f5c664e

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bill-Nelson- ... 487c10d136

....... I feel for anyone who didn't get a physical copy for whatever reason. If they feel hurt, slighted and resentful I can understand that.

At least, as you say, there will be a download......

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:40 pm 
Regular

Maybe of more concern is that one of these is "one of our own" who has listed many CDs which are still available (most for around £8) and is trying to flog them for the best part of £30. I have noticed this before as they have been listed a few times.

People who buy/sell out of stock items is one matter - one I don't really have too much of a problem with tbh but selling CDs that you can still get from Bill's store and making a tidy personal profit is rather naughty. It's profiteering in an underhand way as it's not making it clear to a buyer that a mint copy of, say, "Gleaming Without Lights" can be bought for £8 direct from BN store rather than from the ebay seller charging you £29.99.

They have Atom Shop, Gleaming, Fell into a Dream, Fables, Fancy Planets all up for a tidy profit (all available for £8 still) and JTA, ADV and Fantastic Guitars all still available too.

The footnote comment:
"Note: all profits from this sale will be used to buy more Bill Nelson music direct from his official outlet thus supporting the artist again" sounds nice but is rather misleading, as the pattern of trade appears to be one of seeking to make around £20 clear profit per CD to then buy more to then sell on again and so on.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:04 pm 
Regular

Yay!

Glad Quiet Bells has sold out :)

Not so impressed by the E-bay nonsense :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:49 pm 
Regular

Chimera Man wrote:
Maybe of more concern is that one of these is "one of our own" who has listed many CDs which are still available (most for around £8) and is trying to flog them for the best part of £30. I have noticed this before as they have been listed a few times.

People who buy/sell out of stock items is one matter - one I don't really have too much of a problem with tbh but selling CDs that you can still get from Bill's store and making a tidy personal profit is rather naughty. It's profiteering in an underhand way as it's not making it clear to a buyer that a mint copy of, say, "Gleaming Without Lights" can be bought for £8 direct from BN store rather than from the ebay seller charging you £29.99.

I had to bite my tongue when I saw this a while back but I'm glad you have spoken up now Chimera Man. It's well out of order :cry:

There is no excuse for re-selling these albums when stock is available on the shelves at SOS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:17 pm 
Regular

There's a clear difference between selling a rare deleted CD with a view to making a profit and selling in print CDs for inflated prices and that either activity is bound to provoke a reaction on here, but should we be surprised by the selling of Quiet Bells and likewise out of print CDs. I say no for the obvious reason that out of print CDs like out of print books are only worth what people will pay for them.
In my years as a collector I have often had to pay top prices for stuff that I can't order at the original price just like I've picked up many a bargain.
I'd love it if some well intentioned person offered me say a 1968 7" single valued at £350 for what it cost in 1968 but it's not going to happen.
I know this board is populated with a proportion of altruistic types and that's great but this is a special place where normal rules are mainly suspended out of respect for Bill. But in the real world where money talks, it's a different set of rules used by a different type of person. It's a shame that one of the sellers appears to want to take the proverbial and offer in print CDs at extortionate prices but more fool him for trying it on (hopefully it doesn't produce any sales) and more fool anyone else who doesn't find out that these titles are available cheaper at SOS.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:20 am 
Regular

Mick Winsford wrote:
..... and more fool anyone else who doesn't find out that these titles are available cheaper at SOS.

Exactly ; I'm having trouble feeling sorry for someone too lazy or slow to shop around
for new Bill Nelson cds ... oh where , oh where coluld they be ... ? (hang on, I'll figure it out ) .... oh yeah :

... :idea: :shock: on the BILL NELSON WEBSITE :shock: :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:58 am 
Regular

Dar 13.1 wrote:
Mick Winsford wrote:
..... and more fool anyone else who doesn't find out that these titles are available cheaper at SOS.

Exactly ; I'm having trouble feeling sorry for someone too lazy or slow to shop around
for new Bill Nelson cds ... oh where , oh where coluld they be ... ? (hang on, I'll figure it out ) .... oh yeah :

... :idea: :shock: on the BILL NELSON WEBSITE :shock: :idea:

Exactly; isn't that the whole purpose of Dreamsville? That is, to promote BN's music to fans?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:40 am 
Regular

MG wrote:
Exactly; isn't that the whole purpose of Dreamsville? That is, to promote BN's music to fans?
I reckon you would be struggling to name 50 active Dreamsville members. My guess is there is a lot more activity on Facebook. That is where promotion happens nowadays

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:15 am 
Regular

BlackPaperCrown wrote:
MG wrote:
I reckon you would be struggling to name 50 active Dreamsville members. My guess is there is a lot more activity on Facebook. That is where promotion happens nowadays

With respect I have to point out that is still necessary to access either physical product through SOS and downloads through Bandcamp (as we know).

Both those sites (and I would believe Farcebook too for that matter; a media that I don't do) have URL's directed back to Dreamsville.

I see that there can be a hell of a lot of lurkers on these boards (particularly around CD release time). It's a common fact about the internet that there are many people who browse forums but, for whatever reason, don't want to participate. Well and good.

As for the fifty or so active members: good on you, go to it....... I appreciate that BN so enthusiastically engages with us. It's a privilege, sir.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next