www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Mon May 27, 2019 4:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Quiet Bells - SOLD OUT
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:55 pm 
New in Town

Bill Nelson wrote:
There is already a copy, marked as 'mint', for sale on e-bay. Obviously someone trying to make a profit from the sold out nature of the album, but don't be tempted, there will, eventually, be a much cheaper download version available from my Bandcamp page...not immediately, but eventually. So, patience will reward you! :wink:

Yeah, there're always the money grubbers where the music means nothing to them. It's all about making a buck at someone else's loss. :x

Gotta say, Bill, Quiet Bells is my kind of no-vocal music. Just gorgeous! :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:22 am 
Regular

Going to play Devil's Advocate here for a minute since everyone seems "salty" over folks selling copies on Ebay. It's not a mortal sin for someone to buy a cd <or anything for that matter> and either not care for it or burn it and then decide to resell it. It's also not a mortal sin to sell it for more than it originally cost if it's gone out of print and commands more money now. That's just good business sense.

Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:55 am 
Regular

Location: Dreamsville Bureau of Realistic Attributions and Technosurvivalism
hypnohighball wrote:
Going to play Devil's Advocate here for a minute since everyone seems "salty" over folks selling copies on Ebay. It's not a mortal sin for someone to buy a cd <or anything for that matter> and either not care for it or burn it and then decide to resell it. It's also not a mortal sin to sell it for more than it originally cost if it's gone out of print and commands more money now. That's just good business sense.

Just sayin'.

I'm saying this respect but, as it appears, you may not find many like-minded attitudes around here.........

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:51 am 
Regular

MG wrote:
hypnohighball wrote:

Just sayin'.

I'm saying this respect but, as it appears, you may not find many like-minded attitudes around here.........

That's fine, there's always many ways to look at things - it's all a matter of perspective.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:55 am 
The Citizen

hypnohighball wrote:
it's all a matter of perspective.

I agree, but there's a difference between selling something you don't want to another fan for a reasonable amount of money and the sheer greed exhibited by asking ridiculously high amounts, plus the deliberate exploitation shown by buying an album only to immediately put it up for sale with the intention of grabbing many times the original price. That's not exactly keeping things in perspective, it's taking advantage of the situation and being bare-faced enough to boast about it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:16 am 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
hypnohighball wrote:

I agree, but there's a difference between selling something you don't want to another fan for a reasonable amount of money and the sheer greed exhibited by asking ridiculously high amounts, plus the deliberate exploitation shown by buying an album only to immediately put it up for sale with the intention of grabbing many times the original price. That's not exactly keeping things in perspective, it's taking advantage of the situation and being bare-faced enough to boast about it.

Pure, discompassionate greed disguised as "good business sense" is something that's helped the world go very sour in some ways . No, re-selling cd's isn't killing the middle class, but taking advantage of good people , then coming to site where they gather , to justify "good business sense" is in incredibly poor taste , and rude as can be . Maybe good business sense, but lousy common sense, i.m.o. :|

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:04 pm 
Regular

hypnohighball wrote:
... or burn it and then decide to resell it. ...

Is this not a breach of copyright?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:08 pm 
Regular

Dar 13.1 wrote:
Bill Nelson wrote:
hypnohighball wrote:

Pure, discompassionate greed disguised as "good business sense" is something that's helped the world go very sour in some ways . No, re-selling cd's isn't killing the middle class, but taking advantage of good people , then coming to site where they gather , to justify "good business sense" is in incredibly poor taste , and rude as can be . Maybe good business sense, but lousy common sense, i.m.o. :|

Well, it's also called Capitalism and that's a whole other argument as to whether that is a good or bad thing..... :wink:

Let's say my uncle Bob decides to sell me his 1963 Chevy Corvette he's had in his garage and hardly ever driven because he knows he's not long for this earth. He sells it to me for a really good price, $6,000 because he, frankly, won't be needing the money and he likes me. I love the car, drive it around a while, but decide it's just not practical for me to keep and care for. I investigate the used car market and see that a car of that vintage and condition has been fetching around $600,000, which is 100 times the price that I paid! I can really use the money - is it "greedy" for me to sell the car at the going price and make a huge profit? Or should I resell the car for what I paid so it can be immediately snapped up by a reseller who will then himself go on to "flip" it for that huge profit I passed up because I didn't want to appear to be greedy and bad-mouthed online?

Hey, it's not me selling this stuff on ebay, it just doesn't bother me as much as many of you and I'm taking a "yin" to your "yang" for the sake of argument, that's all.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:44 pm 
Regular

Location: Florida (sitting by the window, in a house at the end of time)
Let's put this more in context. At least one person on this site has admitted to buying a limited edition CD, which quickly sold out. Several longtime members have stated they missed out on the CD, for various reasons. This means, at least one of those longtime fans could have gotten the limited CD at the asking price, but missed out because someone wanted to make a few bucks.

I personally consider this poor form. I also see it as someone investing a small amount of money to profit from the artist's hard work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:59 pm 
Regular

Alan wrote:
Let's put this more in context. At least one person on this site has admitted to buying a limited edition CD, which quickly sold out. Several longtime members have stated they missed out on the CD, for various reasons. This means, at least one of those longtime fans could have gotten the limited CD at the asking price, but missed out because someone wanted to make a few bucks.

I personally consider this poor form. I also see it as someone investing a small amount of money to profit from the artist's hard work.

But the artist got his money - all copies that were offered up for sale were sold. And maybe the reseller doesn't visit this board so he's not aware/concerned of the plight of any long-term members here?

I'll have to agree that it's pretty poor form for a member here to post here "crowing" about flipping a Bill Nelson cd when there's members agonizing over missing out. As a matter of fact, in some parts of the old south here in America that I used to live in, like Alabama, that might actually be a "hanging offence". Heck, I say let's get a rope and discuss it later! :twisted:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next