www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Electric Atlas CD - SOLD OUT
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:25 am 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
Merikan1 wrote:
It surprises me that all of the cds in the shop aren't sold out. How can Signals, Palace of Strange Voltages, Silvertone Fountains, And We Fell into a Dream, Illuminated at Dusk and Gleaming Without Lights not be sold out?

I know, tell me about it! Those are some of the best albums I've ever released, and yet, years after, they're still in stock. The only thing that explains it, considering that I have well over 5,000 fans on social media, is that they're illegaly downloading albums instead of buying them at source from the artist. And whichever bastard is making them available as illegal downloads wants shafting up the arse with a hot poker! :evil:

Ouch!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:48 am 
Regular

felixt1 wrote:
Bill Nelson wrote:
Merikan1 wrote:
It surprises me that all of the cds in the shop aren't sold out. How can Signals, Palace of Strange Voltages, Silvertone Fountains, And We Fell into a Dream, Illuminated at Dusk and Gleaming Without Lights not be sold out?

I know, tell me about it! Those are some of the best albums I've ever released, and yet, years after, they're still in stock. The only thing that explains it, considering that I have well over 5,000 fans on social media, is that they're illegaly downloading albums instead of buying them at source from the artist. And whichever bastard is making them available as illegal downloads wants shafting up the arse with a hot poker! :evil:

Ouch!

Christmas presents sorted. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:23 am 
Regular

Gratz on the sell-out Bill ! :D

I have to agree with a previous post, how can fans pass up those other titles still in stock?! Regardless of an illegal download, owning a true music collectible of such quality and rarity negates owning just the music. Let's not forget to point out it also helps the artist pay the bills (no pun intended) and create more wonderful sounds.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:43 am 
Regular

I can't see that some albums don't sell due to illegal downloads. Some of it may just be down to timing of releases and that mysterious "something" that captures or fails to capture peoples imaginations.
Take this album as an example....the samples hint an album that is dynamic, fresh and bristling with new sounds. Had I not been so slow off the mark, I would have ordered after hearing the sample of "All Hail the Witching Hour". These samples are examples of the take-your-breath-away, inventive songwriting that I fell for many years ago. Now I'm pissed off that I missed out on this gem but you can be sure of one thing, I won't be tempted to find an illegal source.
I've never been able to explain why some albums appeal and some don't. Probably shouldn't even try.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:05 am 
Regular

I'm still mystified as to why 500 or even 1000 copies sometimes fail to sell out........? High quality creative music..... Maybe a lot of people just want crappy pop...?

The sheer number of releases may be a factor but there are only four or five a year...... some may not be as keen on the instrumental ones but some of your best work is on those Bill..... The ones with vocals do seem to sell faster.

Illegal downloads are also most likely not the problem....... most people my age (56 on a good day) are quite happy to pay for an artist's work and a lot of Bill's audience is over 40.... Some younger people have grown up with an "everything should be free" mentality which is wrong....... You just can't expect creative people to do everything for nothing unless you only want part time musicians.

so who knows.........?

Bill's music has given me countless hours of pleasure over many years but maybe for some it just doesn't tick all the boxes to get them buying.....?

I have bought this one and am looking forward to hearing it when it lands in OZ......

m

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:43 pm 
The Citizen

Well, I'm afraid you're wrong about the illegal downloads. We have looked closely into the problem and found that the albums are available VERY quickly as illegal downloads and that people do take advantage of them, regardless of age. That accounts for the large number of fans on Facebook who seem to know the music on them and yet appear not to have bought a copy.

And 'Plectrajet,' although an instrumental album, was set to be very popular because of the material it contained, which I'd performed live over a number of years. The anticipation for that album was very strong, which is why we pressed up 750 copies, but the take up was no more than the usual 500 in the end. And yet it is still being raved about by fans on Facebook and here.

As for the instrumental versus vocal argument, I don't think that holds water either as some instrumental albums have sold out incredibly quickly too, even the more 'esoteric' ones such as 'Quiet Bells.'

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:31 pm 
Regular

market wrote:
Illegal downloads are also most likely not the problem....... most people my age (56 on a good day) are quite happy to pay for an artist's work and a lot of Bill's audience is over 40.... .

I'm afraid Bill is right, a private report done for a (legitimate) cloud service in the USA suggested that illegal downloading is as prevalent among those of a certain age as it is younger people. It's just that nearly everyone got used to free music in the early days of downloading and can't let it go.

One of the ways these people collect new material is through the cloud music services which often don't have the best security.

I don't think the frequency of releases or type of album make much difference to if they sell out or not. Bill (or SOS) will be able to tell who buys what sort of release, how often people buy, if the same 500 are first off the mark everytime (unlikely). From looking at these things with music released by some of my clients I think it is just the variability of the market and there isn't generally an easy to pick up pattern

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 pm 
Regular

I have yet to receive my copy of Electric Atlas. :(

Congrats on the sell out. Almost time to release the next title. Santa awaits. :idea:

:arrow:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:45 pm 
Regular

tm14 wrote:
From looking at these things with music released by some of my clients I think it is just the variability of the market and there isn't generally an easy to pick up pattern

Your clients, tm14?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:40 pm 
The Citizen

Quinault wrote:
Almost time to release the next title. Santa awaits.

Yes! In December, expect to see 'Loom-Astroloops 2.' This will be a follow up to the extremely limited edition 'Astroloops' album which was given exclusively to only those 24 people who bought the equally limited edition Eastwood 'Astroluxe' signature guitar of a while back.

I've now recorded a follow up album to this and will make it more widely available, (if you can call only 500 copies 'widely available.')

'Loom' is an instrumental album using looped guitar parts as a basis for improvisational overdubs. It follows on from, and develops ideas first voiced on the 24 copies limited edition 'Astroloops' album. In some ways it's closer to things like 'Quiet Bells' but is somewhat less quiet! :wink:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next