www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Electric Atlas CD - SOLD OUT
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:47 pm 
Regular

Location: Dreamsville Bureau of Realistic Attributions and Technosurvivalism
Bill Nelson wrote:
That accounts for the large number of fans on Facebook who seem to know the music on them and yet appear not to have bought a copy.
That's disturbing news..........

Bill Nelson wrote:
Quinault wrote:
Almost time to release the next title. Santa awaits.

Yes! In December, expect to see 'Loom-Astroloops 2.' This will be a follow up to the extremely limited edition 'Astroloops' album which was given exclusively to only those 24 people who bought the equally limited edition Eastwood 'Astroluxe' signature guitar of a while back.

I've now recorded a follow up album to this and will make it more widely available, (if you can call only 500 copies 'widely available.')

'Loom' is an instrumental album using looped guitar parts as a basis for improvisational overdubs. It follows on from, and develops ideas first voiced on the 24 copies limited edition 'Astroloops' album. In some ways it's closer to things like 'Quiet Bells' but is somewhat less quiet! :wink:

I'll save up my pennies! Look forward to it!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:09 am 
Regular

Quote:
Well, I'm afraid you're wrong about the illegal downloads
I'm surprised at myself for being stupid enough to think that most fans have enough respect to pay for the music, especially those who probably read each post about the effect of illegal downloads.
If I, and obviously others, are saddened by the reality of the scope of illegal downloads, I can't begin to imagine what artists such as yourself must feel.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:43 am 
Regular

The illegal download issue is very worrying......

If the trend continues there will be very little new quality music available from full time musicians, they just won'rt be able to earn a living from their work unless they can play live a lot of the time. (some great music can't really be reproduced live....... some of Bill's best for instance....... the cost of multi musicians to do it would make it uneconomic...)

I tried a couple of streaming sevices and didn't like them...... they kept trying to get me to listen to stuff i had no interest in....... Can't even be bothered to go looking for the illegal download stuff........ but that's just me......

:cry:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:51 am 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
Quinault wrote:
Almost time to release the next title. Santa awaits.

Yes! In December, expect to see 'Loom-Astroloops 2.' This will be a follow up to the extremely limited edition 'Astroloops' album which was given exclusively to only those 24 people who bought the equally limited edition Eastwood 'Astroluxe' signature guitar of a while back.

I've now recorded a follow up album to this and will make it more widely available, (if you can call only 500 copies 'widely available.')

'Loom' is an instrumental album using looped guitar parts as a basis for improvisational overdubs. It follows on from, and develops ideas first voiced on the 24 copies limited edition 'Astroloops' album. In some ways it's closer to things like 'Quiet Bells' but is somewhat less quiet! :wink:

Oh, wow - that ups the ante in anticipation! 8)

Quiet Bells, is a work of genius 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:23 am 
The Citizen

It's not really a 'Quiet Bells 2,' but has guitars and not much else, circling in a kind of abstract mood. (All played on the 'Astroluxe' custom guitar.) 'Quiet Bells' was the only thing I could think of to give a comparison of sorts, but it's definitely got its own thing going. :wink: :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:24 am 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
It's not really a 'Quiet Bells 2,' but has guitars and not much else, circling in a kind of abstract mood. (All played on the 'Astroluxe' custom guitar.) 'Quiet Bells' was the only thing I could think of to give a comparison of sorts, but it's definitely got its own thing going. :wink: :)

Well, that's not going to make me any less excited, is it? :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:33 am 
Regular

alec wrote:
tm14 wrote:
From looking at these things with music released by some of my clients I think it is just the variability of the market and there isn't generally an easy to pick up pattern

Your clients, tm14?

I run a small marketing consultancy & part of that is working for independent artists & small record companies to help them get noticed and fight off the illegal downloaders.

It would surprise you what gets pirated, I work with a classical crossover singer & pianist who operates in the Christian music sphere, sold 350 out of 500 cds (mostly at gigs) & 400 bandcamps, downloaded at least 1500 times illegally mostly from Christian music forums, as well as the usual Russian & Brazilian suspects. It's like playing whack a mole, as soon as you get one taken down another pops up. I know what Canute felt like :(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:30 pm 
The Citizen

tm14 wrote:
It's like playing whack a mole, as soon as you get one taken down another pops up.

That's exactly it, these sites are in a constant state of flux...they change their location and name as soon as anyone from the industry is on to them.

Many of them are run from other countries, Russia being a hive of piracy and illegal downloads, but the 'masterminds' behind them are often from the west and just use the Russian companies to front their activity as it's harder for artists, management and record companies to do anything to counteract Russian sites.

Often, these same companies state that their downloads are legitimate and make their site appear so with a pro appearance...however, that's a total deception and they're anything but legal. Of course, they offer their downloads at a low price, but because they've stolen almost every artist in the world's albums, even selling them for small money still makes them millions because of the sheer volume of download sales they get away with.

Aside from these money making illegal sites, there's another line in llegal downloads that are given away for free. Money is made by selling advertising space to other companies.

There are also free downloads offered by individuals claiming to be 'fans' but what true fan would steal an artists recordings and allow thousands of others to have them without paying for them? This latter practice is either misguided, an attempt to 'subvert the industry' or is deliberately aimed at spoiling an artists sales out of mischief or sheer malice. I personally know of examples of the latter.

Put all these different practices together and it adds up to the situation we see today, where music sales are being decimated by the acts of crooks, from whatever pursuasion. Greed and indifference to the artist's plight is slowly killing the production of professional-quality music from artists who have given their lives over to creatvity. It's beyond shame, it's theft pure and simple.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:20 pm 
Regular

Sharing music started off with good intentions, I was there at the beginning of MP3, the people who traded stuck to things that only fans would own, music they captured live, bootlegs and rare out of print bands that would never see a compact disc... however, once the masses found out about MP3 and Napster went viral the whole scene went to hell, people stealing all the music, not caring anymore if it took from the artists, a miracle of data compression that seemed to be the future of music brought the end of music distribution as we know it, and not for the better. Now Bill nailed it, greed and weasels have taken something wonderful and turned it into a nightmare for the artists, it's a real shame... and might I add, the internet itself that we all embraced has gone sour too, so many ways to misuse the net and people have perfected them all, it's a sewer where anything goes, from death to robbery, terrorists to molesters, it's all there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:23 pm 
Regular

Quote:
so many ways to misuse the net and people have perfected them all, it's a sewer where anything goes, from death to robbery, terrorists to molesters, it's all there

Most of the really bad stuff is on the darknet & you need the Tor browser for this, I had a look & its completely unregulated, anything goes, I saw the Silk Road website until it was taken down by the FBI, mindboggling, You could even hire a hit man on it apparently :?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next