www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Northern Dream SOLD OUT
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:23 pm 
Regular

Not sure if a SOS heads up would have made any difference? For every person who think an SOS heads up would have meant they got a copy that would have meant someone else NOT getting one. Same number of disappointed people.

Really do not understand why people cant just be happy for those who did secure a copy and be happy that a download is available so they can listen to the music anyways.

All that people have missed out on is a plastic box and a better quality 'sleeve'.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:16 pm 
Regular

BobK wrote:
Not sure if a SOS heads up would have made any difference? For every person who think an SOS heads up would have meant they got a copy that would have meant someone else NOT getting one. Same number of disappointed people.

Really do not understand why people cant just be happy for those who did secure a copy and be happy that a download is available so they can listen to the music anyways.

All that people have missed out on is a plastic box and a better quality 'sleeve'.

I don't think anyone that didn't get a copy is unhappy or resentful against those that did. It's always a lottery when something limited goes on sale, but I just think with a little notice people can plan a little bit. Adjust a shift, or avoid going down the pub, not go to the supermarket, or whatever.

I for one understand that I have no right above anyone else that managed to get a copy. I have downloaded some of Bill's stuff but do enjoy having the physical article.
And I say the above because it was known that the number of cd's was very limited.
Perhaps we'll be lucky enough to see another (even more limited) run perhaps and as previously said - I'm happy to pay extra for that.
If that doesn't work I'll download and be thankful for it.
Respectfully.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:21 pm 
Regular

A post in another thread has enquired if new albums could be pressed in quantities of 600.Bill has said he will look into it.Also NND is an exception,as most of Bills recent albums are not available via download ,and given his prolific output it may be sometime before they are.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:44 am 
Regular

I do believe that people's frustrations are more exasperated with this particular release simply because of its connection with Bills past

Obviously if you have a been fan of Bills work for the duration then this particular release is of very special interest and to miss out is very frustrating.

Surely a quarterly subscription into a Bill Nelson just giving page would smooth out matters for future releases

Easier said than done I know

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:32 pm 
The Citizen

Axe Victim wrote:
I do believe that people's frustrations are more exasperated with this particular release simply because of its connection with Bills past

Yes, I've wondered about that myself...It's strange because I could have called the album something entirely different, let's say, for sake of argument, 'Starstruck Hours,' and not mentioned any connection with 'Northern Dream' but kept the album's music exactly as it is now.

Would there then have been any fuss, above and beyond that accorded to my usual albums? Because, let's face it, the album isn't a re-run of 'Northern Dream' at all really. It's an entirely different album and has far more in common with 21st Century albums such as 'Sailor Bill' and 'Songs Of The Blossom Tree Optimists' than anything else.

Of course, there is one re-make of a 'Northern Dream' track, ('New Northern Dreamer',) and a very brief nod to 'Photograph' along with a few brief bars of 'Everyone's Hero', (added almost as an afterthought to prop up the concept,) but does that really constitute a strong enough connection to the original 1970 album?

Suggesting a connection with the tracks on 'Northern Dream' is a device I used to frame what is, in reality, an album which ultimately has little to do with 'Northern Dream.' As I said, it has far more in common with recent albums than it has with the original recording.

Album concepts, which can be actual or imaginary depending on their creator's whim, deeply colour and influence people's perception of the music. Words create imaginings and pre-conceptions. If a thing is said to be 'thus', even if it actually isn't, people will be reluctant to see it in a different light. If a concept appeals, we continue to believe in it and hang on to it, even when the evidence shows that any connection with that concept is tenuous at best.

So, how much is 'New Northern Dream' really related to old 'Northern Dream'? Enough to make you believe you're listening to an extension of the original album? Enough to transport you nostalgically back to the start of the 1970s and your youth? Or are a few words and a handful of images sufficient to pull off that trick without the music actually being any different from my more contemporary albums? :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:39 pm 
Regular

New northern Dream is though one of your finest albums of recent years,in this listeners humble opinion.How you remain so prolific ,yet release music of such consistently high quality ,the lord above knows!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:06 pm 
New in Town

hmm.... maybe something else is at work here. The fact that a live event is attached to the release,being either a film, talk, q&a, or performance, signals an extra special significance to the release, whether intended or not. I know that I personally attach extra value to those releases blessed with a live event. Hell, if the creator is willing to put in all of the effort for planning, practising, writing, video accompaniment etc...then there must be something extra special involved here.
Don't get me wrong, I love "Special Metal" in all it's downloaded glory, and have had it in heavy rotation since it's release. It's just that "New Northern Dream" momentarily has pride of place, possibly due to the unique presentation. And this coming from someone across the pond, that did not have the opportunity to attend.
Hey, Bill... back to "Special Metal" for a moment, was the track "All Our Yesterdays" ever given consideration to be included on the 'All That I Remember" release? Killer vocals. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:19 pm 
The Citizen

mart0629 wrote:
was the track "All Our Yesterdays" ever given consideration to be included on the 'All That I Remember" release?

'All Our Yesterdays' was written quite a while before the album 'All That I Remember' was conceived, and 'Special Metal' had already been released when I was working on 'All That I Remember,' so I couldn't really put it on the latter album as I would have been duplicating an already released track. ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:34 pm 

Quick question, the NND albums being sent from SOS are they all signed, just curious.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:32 pm 

eddie wrote:
Quick question, the NND albums being sent from SOS are they all signed, just curious.

No, just about 20 or so. Bill signed more than needed so there will be some lucky people getting signed copies.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next