www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:48 pm 
Regular

So sorry to hear of this. My sincere condolences go out to all of Chuck's family and friends.
I never met Chuck, but I'm positive he was a swell gentleman. The Permanent Flame site kept me up to date and informed about Bill Nelson items of all sorts for many years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:10 am 
Regular

I would like to offer my condolences as well. I did not have the pleasure of meeting Chuck and I have no doubt it is my loss. Certainly he was a fine person, as I believe the vast majority of folks who post on this forum are. This is truly a special place inhabited by special people and even though I may have never met any of you, I feel a kinship and know that I would feel welcome if we ever were to meet. I do not post often, but I do often read others posts and I enjoy and appreciate you all being here. So, thanks to Chuck for all the work and time he put into keeping the torch lit, his (tangible) presence will be missed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:43 am 
Bar Staff

A good man ,who will be sadly missed in the `Nelsonic` community - a True fan of Bills work
Ged

Post subject: Chuck Bird RIP
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:11 am 
New in Town

I just found out about Chuck's passing from an email today from Nelsonica US and was very upset to hear of it. I was not aware of his illness. I hung out with Chuck on a couple of occasions a few years back - When running the Permanent Flame site, he would occasionally announce via email to the list that he was going to be in a certain city during his job travels, and he would invite BN fans in that area to connect with him and go out for a drink or meal or party or whatever. On two occasions he came to my town (Austin Texas) which led to me meeting several other people right here in my own town that I would not have ever known had it not been for Chuck bringing us together. I volunteered my house for the gathering and we partied with a few other BN fans who had responded to Chuck's invitation, while listening to BN and watching videos of BB Deluxe which Chuck had brought for our viewing pleasure. To this day, I am still friends with the people I met through Chuck and I thank him for that. What a wonderful thing he did in reaching out to BN fans and bringing us together. He was quite a character and I really liked him. During a 3rd get-together here in Austin a couple years back, as we anxiously awaited Chuck's arrival, he phoned to say he wasn't going to make it due to a change in his travel plans that could not be avoided. That was the last I spoke to him but we emailed once or twice since then. I am sad to know I will not see or speak to him again. Though Chuck can no longer "Keep In Touch", he can at least "Stay Young". :( He will be missed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:47 pm 
Regular

I just learned of Chuck's passing this morning via the email from Nelsonica US. I searched for obits in the Nashville and Los Angeles-area newspapers but didn't find anything from November 12th onwards. If anybody can find an obit, please email me at mark@markrushton.com.

Chuck and I emailed every month or two over the years. He had worked for about 20 years with Nissan/Infiniti Motors, and moved to Nashville recently when the company switched their headquarters to there from the LA area. Over the summer he had a hip replacement, but had just purchased a home with a half acre lot. I joked with him about how he'll need to buy a riding lawn mower now. He seemed happy in Nashville, even though he had grown up in LA and spent many years in the suburban Chicago area. I know he was a big fan of country music, as well as rock, so Nashville would have suited him.

I only met Chuck once, in 1997 when I was living in Houston. Some people you don't have to meet to know you can trust them, and Chuck was one of those people. When I got tired of managing the web site after I had children, Chuck offered to take it over and keep it running, but we always kept in touch about things. When the SoS guys were going to make a web site with Bill, Chuck called me up to ask if it was OK to give the billnelson.com domain name to them - even though Chuck's name was on the account! He was so sincere.

Chuck had many health problems over the years, as Bill mentioned. When he was living in Chicago he was regularly in and out of the hospital, and he had told me that on a couple of occasions he nearly passed away.

Chuck had told me on a number of times that his illnesses had made him depressed, which is understandable, but his love for Bill's music always got him out of the worst parts.

He was such a fan. Chuck collected so many things Nelson-related. When I no longer needed the many things I had acquired in building the initial billnelson.com web site, I shipped him a giant box so he could read and enjoy it all. Even recently, he was emailing me about the Global Village acetate up for auction at Holyground.

Thanks, Bill, for such a nice tribute for Chuck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:46 pm 
Regular

And thank you, Mark, for writing such a nice piece about Chuck.

Your words help to flesh out the man who, while I never met, I'd like to think I knew a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:15 pm 
Regular

Very sad news indeed. I briefly met him at one of the Nelsonicas and it was apparent that he had the aura of a truely good guy...another one gone :(
My sincere condolances to his friends and family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:36 pm 
Regular

Sad to hear. I never met Chuck, but I did get to exchange a few emails with him - he seemed so enthusiastic, and I was struck by his kindness and generosity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:16 pm 
Regular

Spoke with Chuck at a couple of Nelsonicas...so sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:36 pm 

Sad news indeed. I remember arguing with the bouncers at one Nelsonica as they wouldn't let Chuck in the building but never really got the chance to speak with him.
Sincere condolences to Chuck's family and friends.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next