www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:21 pm 
Regular

Chuck had several web domains he played around with over the years. Here's one preserved in digital amber at archive.org with a tribute to the "guitar boy":

http://web.archive.org/web/200102050008 ... /main.html

I'll reproduce the text here:

Quote:
Guitar Boy
or one man's tribute to Bill Nelson
In the spring of 1975 i was a senior at San Pedro High School, oddly enough, in San Pedro, CA. i had a part-time job gardening for neighbors and friends. One afternoon after gardening i got into my '63 Bug and started to head home. The local radio station, KNAC 105.5 FM in Long Beach, CA, had a DJ named "Bobby Blue" who ran an import show. He would showcase import-only releases. He played some great music that you couldn't hear anywhere else in Los Angeles. This day he came on and said that he had heard the greatest album of all time last night and wanted to play it for us. He then proceeded to play the entire side two of Be+Bop Deluxe's "Futurama". i sat there in my car, completely transfixed. i only had a single 5 ½" speaker mounted behind the grille and so the sound quality wasn't that good. But i fell in love with those songs:

# Music in Dreamland
# Jean Cocteau
# Between The Worlds
# Swan Song

i went right out and bought the album at the only store, at the time, who carried imports: The Music Plus on PCH in Hermosa (you know the one, just south of The Tinder Box, the adult video store). i played that album over the years until the grooves wore out. In fact, i still have that album, and a newer copy to play. As time progressed i was able to see the group twice, first time in 1976 at the LA Forum as the front men for Blue Öyster Cult, and then in NYC, playing with Wet Willie! i also was able to see Bill perform solo engagements in 1984 at the Wilshire Theatre in Hollywood on a Friday night, and then at Fender's Grand International Ballroom next to the Queen Mary in Long Beach the next.

While i'm not quite obsessed with the man, i don't have his picture up on my walls, i do admire the maverick spirit he has shown over the many years. He still churns out two to three albums per year. Always of innovative music that surpasses the quality of 99.99% of all other music being released today. But he is not well known because he refused to give in to the studio's demands. So, on these pages i salute Bill in pictures and text. As i did in 1998 when i produced a two CD, 26 song fan tribute album: Multiplex - Our Secret Studios.

Read on and enjoy. And, as always, let me know how you feel.

The above pic is of Chuck Bird at the 2003 Nelsonica convention from the Holyground web site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:17 pm 
Regular

Way back when I remember downloading & printing Bill's discography via Permanent Flame on a lunchbreak before the Boss became all knowing.A wealth of knowledge.Condolences .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:01 pm 
Regular

Mark, Thank You for supplying a face to go with the name for the others of us who had not had met Chuck in person. Not forgetting all the hard work you yourself put into 'The Permanent Flame'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:48 pm 
Regular

I have posted Chuck's obituary and funeral service information here:

http://www.billnelsonmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3777

Services will be in San Pedro, California, on Friday, November 24th. There's also an online guestbook you can sign.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:38 am 
New in Town

On Friday, four of the Ordinary Idiots(OI) of Los Angeles (founded by Chuck Bird in 1997) attended Chuck's service in San Pedro. It was a hazy overcast morning that opened up as the day moved on. The sky was calm and just starting to turn that beautiful shade of blue we are so used to here. All of us were very aware that we probably would have never met each other if it wasn't for Chuck.

Chuck loved his family, especially his nieces and nephews. They loved him as well. They mentioned his unending generousity and his time that he gave freely to them. At the service we learn much about the man that we didn't know and heard much that confirmed what we already knew.

His niece sang a beautiful tribute to him, breaking into tears near the end. One of his nephew's gave a eulogy and his voice began to break up as well. He was truly loved by his family and will be missed by them.

To those that were close to Chuck, it struck us that he also treated us like family. Though we were mere friends he gave gifts freely, more than I could ever repay (though I tried!). He was always thinking of others. He loved to give surprises. Always helping to make other's dreams come true. He seemed happy with just a heartfelt thanks. He was always there to advise or just listen.

I first met Chuck in 1997, not unlike many other fans during his trips from Chicago. There was supposed to be another Bill Nelson fan who couldn't make it at the last minute. I brought my two year old son with me and we met at a Mexican restaurant for dinner. I was only getting back into Bill Nelson at the time so it was a treat to meet someone who could guide me through the mass of music now available. It turned out that we were at the same Be-Bop Deluxe concert in the fall of '76 at the Los Angeles Forum. That evening just happened to be the eve of Bill Nelson's birthday.

It was also that very night that we talked about a tribute album for Bill, but I really didn't think anything would come of it. I certainly didn't have the time for such dreams!

Lo and behold, Chuck not only ended up organizing the secret project (Bill wasn't on the internet yet!), but he bankrolled it as well. The two disk tribute was to be presented to Bill on his birthday, one year after we had first plotted. He would also advise on a Tom Verlaine/Television tribute the following year.

Later as we know, Chuck produced another BN tribute even grander by one full disk!

Toward of the end of Friday, the OI stood at Chuck's final resting place in the Rancho Palos Verdes hills over looking the Port of Los Angeles. A slight breeze picked up as we placed a photo and some momentos upon the casket. We said our last goodbye to a great friend and accomplice.

Til we meet again...

Eric W.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:04 pm 
Regular

Thanks for sharing such a beautiful tribute, Eric. Chuck was indeed a special man who touched many, lives for the better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:18 am 
Regular

I'm so sorry to have not been here when this was first posted but I would like to add my condolences to his family, friends and nelsonic community. I also never met Chuck however my participation in Multiplex brought me in to phone contact with him. As I recall he was appologetic about my cover of Blazing Apostles appearing last in the set when no apology was neccesary. I was honored to be on the disc at all. He seemed like a nice guy and I have to say his picture is not at all what I would have expected.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:45 am 
The Citizen

Eric: Many thanks for the thoughtful tribute and the eloquent and moving report of Chuck's funeral. I only just now came across it. I feel so sad when I see a photo of Chuck...it brings back fond memories of him. He was, as everyone who met him is aware, a very generous and unselfish man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:33 pm 
Regular

Dear Fellow Bill Nelson fans, and the friends and family of of Chuck Bird,

Elana, here, Andy (Planetandy's wife).
I'd like to offer my condolences to all of you who knew Chuck Bird. From reading all the posts so far, I've gotten a better perspective of the kind of person he was. I'm sorry I never met him.

Our paths crossed for a short period in 1998, as I had submitted artwork to him for consideration for the album cover of Multiplex. He chose to use some of it in the liner notes and I was honored and delighted to have contributed to that project. I remember him being kind, considerate and thoughtful through the entire process, and I recall his unique blend of passion and gentle ways.

I am reminded that how we treat one another in life is how we will be remembered after we're gone from the planet. It seems that the world has lost a good soul ---one that will always be remembered with a smile and good thoughts. Here's to Mr. Bird.

Wishing you all peace,

Elana

Post subject: a farewell to a friend
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:16 pm 
Regular

i have been on the road for a month or more, and finally have a chance to post a message to my "great friend Chuck", who had his name called by " heaven". Chuck had been my friend for nearly 10 years, and i shall miss him dearly. his deep devotion to the "art of Bill Nelson" provided me the chance to hear all the new "Nelsonica cd's, whenever he returned from a convention. for that i will always be grateful. we met at least 4 times a year, at our Idiots meetings, and they were some of the best times ever known. being someone who believes that when "your work is finished", you get to go home, where "all is good", and Chuck is home. but we have to wait, to see each other, and thats the hard part of "living". so here is a favorite poem, for those "who wait"

When i am gone, release me, let me go,
i have so many things to see and do,
you mustn't tie yourself to me with tears,
be thankful for all our beautiful years,
I gave to you, my love, You can only guess,
how much you gave to me in happiness,
I thank you for the love you each have shown,
But now it's time I traveled on alone.
so grieve a while, if you must,
it's only for a time that we must part,
so keep those memories within your heart,
I wont be far away, for life goes on,
so if you need me, call and i will come
though you cant see or touch me, i'll be near,
and if you listen with your heart,
you'll hear all my love, soft and clear,
and then, when you must come this way "alone",
I'll greet you with a smile,
and say .. Welcome Home.......

looking forward to seeing you Chuck, and having a "tall cool one " with you. Stay young, and keep in touch.... BOB*

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next