www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: SAD NEWS
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:04 pm 
The Citizen

This is not easy for me to write, but I have to pass on some very sad news concerning a long time supporter of my music and a generous benefactor of this website.

Many of you will remember Chuck Bird who, for several years, ran the American Bill Nelson website, 'Permanent Flame.' I have just now received an email from Chuck's brother Larry who wrote to tell me that Chuck tragically passed away last Sunday.

I'm terribly shocked and deeply upset to hear this awful news. I counted Chuck as one of my friends as well as a loyal and devoted fan. He always treated me with absolute kindness and respect and I liked him tremendously.

It is entirely thanks to Chuck's generosity that Dreamsville has a bill nelson .com internet address. This came about because Chuck took over the old 'Permanent Flame' website from Mark Rushton. Mark had started the 'Flame' site way back, long before I even owned a computer. It was the very first Bill Nelson website in the world and, when Mark retired from running it to spend more time with his family, Chuck took over the site and continued to keep the flame alight. When I started to build Dreamsville, Chuck generously suggested that I should build it on the foundations established by the Permanent Flame site and offered to donate the .com address and the old site's archives to me so that Dreamsville could continue the work that Mark and Chuck had begun.

Chuck's health had always been fragile, as long as I knew him. He suffered with diabetes and I can recall that he once became very ill when he attended a Nelsonica Convention at The Duke Of Cumberland some years back. I think he'd had several scares as a result of his diabetes over the years but he always seemed to pull through.

His brother Larry tells me that last Sunday his sugar levels were apparently way too low and Chuck had gone to bed and didn't wake up. It was Tuesday, when he hadn't showed up for work for two days, that the sad situation was discovered.

I know that the community of loyal fans and friends who have bonded around my music will share my profound shock and deep sorrow on hearing this news. Chuck was a good and kind man and my heart goes out to his family and all those who knew and loved him. He will be very much missed by us all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:29 pm 
Regular

Much respect to a devoted fan and condolences to his family. We are all indebted to the work the backroom boys have put in over the years and this is sad news indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:37 pm 
Bar Manager

My deepest sympathies to Chuck's family and friends, sad news indeed.

Jon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:42 pm 
Regular

So sorry to hear this awful news. Love and condolences to Chuck's family.

John

"To create is to resist, to resist is to create." ― Stéphane Hessel

Post subject: Tragic news indeed
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:51 pm 
Regular

Although I'd never met Chuck, I've always admired his dedication to the Nelsonic cause and he was always a real gent went responding to queries sent via the Permanent Flame web site. I made constant use of the discographies he so carefully maintained in order to identify the gaps in my own collection. Permanent Flame also provided me with the link to the uk Rooms With Brittle Views site and completed my reconnection with Bill's music and career.

So long Chuck, you'll be sadly missed.

:( Terminal_Street :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:56 pm 
Regular

Very sad news indeed. Nice man gone too soon.

RIP Chuck.

Steve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:14 pm 
Regular

Terrible news indeed. Chuck emerged from long silence to help those of us in the states who are working towards our own Nelsonica, offering his large email mailing lists for our use in reaching out to fans here. He was always so thoughtful and helpful. A kind man who was willing to offer his time and energy with no other goal than to help people enjoy Bill's music.

A good man and a genuine loss. My thoughts are with his family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:21 pm 
Regular

This is very sad. My condolences to Chuck's family & friends.

Mark Henson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:31 pm 
Regular

so sad to hear this. Chuck was a nice guy.

Fond memory of spending an afternoon with him in London (2001?) and getting rather inebriated.

RIP Chuck.

Last edited by BobK on Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:07 pm 
Regular

Very sad news indeed. Met and chatted briefly at a Nelsonica at the DoC a few years ago and I can only reiterate what everyone else is saying, nice friendly guy and has certainly done much for Bill's ongoing profile.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next