www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: NEW CDs - 'Signals From Realms Of Light' and 'Model Vill
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:11 am 
Regular

The new discs arrived today in Kansas City.

Kudos to SOS for the great service. Can't wait to plug 'em in tomorrow. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:52 pm 
Regular

CDs arrived today, and I plugged in!!!! Excellent.....Model Village is my favourite between the two as yet, but who knows what tomorrow will bring :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:53 pm 
Regular

Model Village..............

I've listened to this several times now, once properly at home on the hi fi complete with surround sound and many more times in the gallery, today especially.

It's one of those albums that reveals more and more of itself with each listen, which is actually true of virtually all of Bill's albums but perhaps more so than most with this one.

It's still early days for me listening to this but as far as first impressions go:

I'm amazed at how much Bill achieves with his keyboard. Let's not forget that most of this is played in real time (please correct me if I'm wrong Bill!), it's just so....open in it's scope. It's very hard to imagine the amount of work Bill has put into this, I mean it sounds like an orchestra, in the true sense!!!
I know that some other folks have mentioned Vaughan Williams in passing and I think that's probably fair. Model Village certainly has similar ambitions as some of the classical works that have come before it.

But it is still a Bill Nelson album 8)

There's a certain sense of playfulness that is very much a part of Bill's music in general that I feel is represented on this album. I get the feeling that in Model Village, there is mischievousness to be found. It is not a place that takes itself too seriously :wink:

The imagery it evokes is plentiful, almost too much to grasp in one sitting, that is until you are more familiar with the twisty paths and hedgerows within the Village and the adjoining fields.

Bill's musicianship and sense of melody are fully on display here, incredible when you consider his prime instrument (at least, as far as the casual listener is concerned :wink: ) is not to be heard on this album at all!

I cannot go into individual tracks as yet and I would hazard a guess that to do so would be to miss the point somewhat, this is very much an album.

Early days yet, as I have said............

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:55 pm 
The Citizen

felixt1 wrote:
'm amazed at how much Bill achieves with his keyboard. Let's not forget that most of this is played in real time (please correct me if I'm wrong Bill!), it's just so....open in it's scope. It's very hard to imagine the amount of work Bill has put into this, I mean it sounds like an orchestra, in the true sense!!!

Yes, all the orchestral parts were played using my Yamaha keyboard, in real time...ie: no computer 'cutting and pasting,' no programmed sequencing. This is the quickest method, (for me,) of getting the ideas recorded and it also helps add realism to the parts due to the natural expression that occurs when playing this way. If I'm playing an Oboe, Flute or French Horn sound, (or any other wind instrument for that matter,) I try to breath with the phrasing, as if I was actually blowing the real instrument. This helps to make the length of the phrases sound a little more human and authentic...and spontaneous.

It is possible to computer program, bit by bit, something which might sound reasonably convincing, but it takes a lot of time and is, (again, purely for me,) quite tiresome, nerdy and rather dull.
Besides that, I don't have the technical equipment to do it that way. I much prefer the feeling of actually performing the part, rather than assembling it from sequenced bits and pieces. At least when it comes to creating something like 'Model Village.' :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:24 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
felixt1 wrote:

If I'm playing an Oboe, Flute or French Horn sound, (or any other wind instrument for that matter,) I try to breath with the phrasing, as if I was actually blowing the real instrument. This helps to make the length of the phrases sound a little more human and authentic...and spontaneous.

Fascinating! Simple and obvious when you think about it :wink: . It also helps explain how your work of this nature sounds so organic.......brilliant 8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:28 am 
Regular

wadcorp wrote:
The new discs arrived today in Kansas City.

Kudos to SOS for the great service. Can't wait to plug 'em in tomorrow. :)

Hey, is that Monica Lewinsky ?... :shock: :lol: :P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:14 pm 
Regular

'Signals from Realms of Light' 'I am the Universe'...Just how f*****g good is that blistering guitar sound when it kicks in 8) ... the tone, the texture, the body 8) ...I literally stopped what I was doing when I heard it the first time, had to savour the moment and not miss a note...Bloody marvoulous Mr Nelson!!! :D

andy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:37 pm 
Regular

Humming a few bars of Please Mr Postman... :?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:12 am 
The Citizen

andygeorge wrote:
'Signals from Realms of Light' 'I am the Universe'...Just how f*****g good is that blistering guitar sound when it kicks in ... the tone, the texture, the body ...I literally stopped what I was doing when I heard it the first time, had to savour the moment and not miss a note...Bloody marvoulous Mr Nelson!!!

Now THAT'S something that I can end the day positively with! Thanks, Andy...I'll go to bed a little easier at heart after reading your reaction to my music. It's been a frustrating few days but good to know something current hits someone's target! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:10 am 
Regular

Finally ordered these two. :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next