www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: 'NEON CYNICS' RE-ISSUED AS A DOWNLOAD ONLY ALBUM!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:20 pm 
Regular

This is wonderful news! I started a thread not long ago asking Bill to consider a Bandcamp page so that his out-of-print material could be available again to those of us who missed it. I am thrilled to see he has finally launched one. I will most definitely be a customer (and also of the new CD's as I can get them, because I remain a supporter of physical media as well). Thanks, Bill!

Looking forward to seeing what lost items come next.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:35 pm 
Regular

Well its especially cool because we have so many new people joining the forum. Would be bad to have them be met with a page full of sold out albums. Poor guys never had a crack at em!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:42 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
I In effect, the re-seller has retained the original and is merely producing digital copies of it to sell for personal profit.

That would be bad if that was what was being talked about.

The original owner notifies the store that they want to sell the item, and if certain criteria are met, the user is allowed to transfer rights to the second buyer. Content itself may or may not change hands, but more importantly the rights attached to said content is managed so that the first user can no longer access the content once it is sold.

I think they will go after CDs and LPs.

I foresee a day when you will have to pay everytime you listen to a song. Nobody will own content.

That's fine with me.

Also, Apple's plan involves paying a percentage of the resale to the publisher and being able to set a minimum price for the content.

How would you like a cut of some of those ebay auctions of your CDs?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:04 pm 
Regular

Just downloaded this as my first experience buying through Bandcamp & it seems to be a good one, fast download speeds & the package with the book is excellent. I am just listening to Contemplation also available for download & that will be next.

I was never a fan of vinyl with all the scratches & pops & clicks, cd has always worked well for me, although I have become a downloader of late mainly because of convenience. I would always want to get a physical package of music that's important to me (I'm a sucker for bonus disc) but if downloading is the way of hearing the sold out discs then I'm all for it. The reasonable and straightforward costs with Bandcamp hopefully mean a good return for Bill which means he will do it again...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:48 pm 
Regular

tm14 wrote:
I would always want to get a physical package of music that's important to me

Do you own a printer?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:51 pm 
Regular

I need to grab it when I get off work!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:19 pm 
The Citizen

MondoJohnny wrote:
we have so many new people joining the forum. Would be bad to have them be met with a page full of sold out albums. Poor guys never had a crack at em!

Well, all I can say is there are lots of physical CD albums still in the Dreamsville store for newcomers to buy...once they've bought and digested those, then maybe the back catalogue might be worth my while releasing as download-only re-issues. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:23 pm 
Regular

wonder toy wrote:
tm14 wrote:
I would always want to get a physical package of music that's important to me

Do you own a printer?

yes thank you, but the point, at least for me, is that a manufactured "proper" cd (or vinyl) is still a more tangible thing than a cdr with a copied sleeve. Some older car cd players, are not all that keen on playing cdrs either (link for interest)http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2571291

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:24 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
MondoJohnny wrote:
we have so many new people joining the forum. Would be bad to have them be met with a page full of sold out albums. Poor guys never had a crack at em!

Well, all I can say is there are lots of physical CD albums still in the Dreamsville store for newcomers to buy...once they've bought and digested those, then maybe the back catalogue might be worth my while releasing as download-only re-issues. :wink:

Sounds right to me! 8) I's thrilled at this new development, and I sure hope it ends up working out for ya! and I solemnly swear to only listen to them on a good system in FLAC format! Scout's honor!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:37 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
MondoJohnny wrote:

You know, it just might be a great idea. You make very limited CD releases and only after it's sold out (here today and gone tomorrow), the electronic version goes on sale via Bandcamp. I believe the highly collectible hard copy limited editions just may sell out a lot faster in this way. Also you could gradually put some of the older out of print stuff on sale as downloads for the late comers. Of course, I have no idea of the cost of making the download versions available.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next