www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bill Nelson, the Godfather of Hauntological Music?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:50 pm 
Regular

wish i was back in 1981

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCUm2GthNJs

just good times and lovely women

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:40 pm 
Regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9udxbvHiqGw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:48 am 
Regular

I am currently reading the recently published book "Mars by 1980 - the Story of Electronic Music" by David Stubbs.

One of the later chapters, number 15, "Reverberation and Decay", is about.... hauntological music!

Lots of labels, groups and people of whom I have never heard. The Ghostbox label, the Focus Group, the Advisory Council, Philip Jeck, Gavin Bryars's "The Sinking of the Titanic" (a "hauntologcal milestone", apparently), William Basinski, Burial, and a few others. The chapter is about 22 pages of a 400 page book.

If anyone might be interested in the book, my advice is to find a copy and have a look through it before committing to buying it. Or see if you can borrow it from a public library. It's a worthy enough book, and Stubbs knows his stuff - I also have his book about Krautrock - but on the whole it doesn't really make me want to seek out and listen to the music that I don't know.

Although an exception - not in the hauntological chapter - was "Wunderbar", by Wolfgang Riechmann, a 1978 album, which had somehow passed me by. His picture on the cover makes it look at though Marc Almond has been co-opted into Kraftwerk, but made to wear blue lipstick (and hair) instead of red. The music is very good - "An album of compact, futuristic icicle warmth, the title track in particular is a spectral, melodic instrumental ... reminiscent of Cluster but projecting forward into the 1980s."

Sadly, he was stabbed to death in Dusseldorf in early 1979. You can find the album online.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:01 pm 
Regular

I have some ghostbox stuff, focus group, advisory council, etc. and most have their own sound. My takeaway from them is that most of the artists really love Bill's Trial By Intimacy era.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:01 pm 
Regular

glint wrote:
I have some ghostbox stuff, focus group, advisory council, etc. and most have their own sound. My takeaway from them is that most of the artists really love Bill's Trial By Intimacy era.

Yes, this is what I was trying to say with the initial post, really. And I think it goes back even earlier in BN's work. My 'beef' is that, despite the masses of critical theory written about hauntology, and the fact that artists like John Foxx and David Sylvian get a few mentions, critics appear to have overlooked the artist whose work, at times, provides the first and best examples. Typical, I suppose.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:06 pm 
Regular

Perfect Monster wrote:
I am currently reading the recently published book "Mars by 1980 - the Story of Electronic Music" by David Stubbs.

One of the later chapters, number 15, "Reverberation and Decay", is about.... hauntological music!

Lots of labels, groups and people of whom I have never heard. The Ghostbox label, the Focus Group, the Advisory Council, Philip Jeck, Gavin Bryars's "The Sinking of the Titanic" (a "hauntologcal milestone", apparently), William Basinski, Burial, and a few others. The chapter is about 22 pages of a 400 page book.

If anyone might be interested in the book, my advice is to find a copy and have a look through it before committing to buying it. Or see if you can borrow it from a public library. It's a worthy enough book, and Stubbs knows his stuff - I also have his book about Krautrock - but on the whole it doesn't really make me want to seek out and listen to the music that I don't know.

You might think to yourself if you did, PM, 'this sounds like something BN did decades ago' :lol: I don't mean to denigrate these artists, and I admire what they're doing in expanding the concepts and boundaries. Hauntology seems to me far more circumscribed in music than it is in other mediums.