www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RIP Danny Kirwan of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:32 pm 
Regular

At age 68 after a decades long battle with alcohol and mental illness- Danny Kirwan was a teenage blues guitar prodigy who struggled to wear the mantle after Peter left the group. Rest in Peace. Here they are in action together in better days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ8AcEYTEFY4

Post subject: Re: RIP Danny Kirwan of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:20 pm 
The Citizen

BFD wrote:
At age 68 after a decades long battle with alcohol and mental illness- Danny Kirwan was a teenage blues guitar prodigy who struggled to wear the mantle after Peter left the group. Rest in Peace. Here they are in action together in better days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ8AcEYTEFY4

That's very sad news. I knew Danny had experienced some problems in more recent years, but didn't realise things had got so bad for him. His work on the original Fleetwood Mac's 'Then Play On' album was very good. I bought that album when it first came out as I was a fan of Peter Green's playing. Weirdly enough, I met Danny once when I was auditioning Bass guitarists for the line-up of Be Bop Deluxe, prior to Charlie Tumahai getting the job. Danny came along to the audition with a bass player friend of his who wanted to join the band. The bass player didn't really hit the mark for me and so didn't get the gig, but I remember Danny saying to me that he 'didn't like my vibrato,' which seemed a strange thing to say in those circumstances, especially as vibrato is a very personal expression and there's no 'right' way to execute it. I thought then that he had a few problems but didn't realise that they were so debilitating for him. Another sad rock n' roll casualty it seems. Rest in peace... :(