It is currently Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Kiss Me, Kate
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:12 am 
Regular

This pleases me...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46808017

Quote:

"I should have been clearer when I then said it was the best thing that had happened to us for a long time - because I greatly disliked the behaviour of the previous PM [David Cameron], who at that point I felt had abandoned us and everybody felt angry and let down."

She added that the article "could make it seem like I am a Tory supporter, which I want to make clear I am not".

Post subject: Re: Kiss Me, Kate
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:16 am 
Regular

I'd think more of her if she said that she was wrong.

""I think it's the best thing that's happened to us in a long time," she said of May's ascension to power.

"I actually really like her and think she's wonderful. She's a very intelligent woman but I don't see much to fear.""

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:28 pm 
Regular

Perfect Monster wrote:
I'd think more of her if she said that she was wrong.

""I think it's the best thing that's happened to us in a long time," she said of May's ascension to power.

"I actually really like her and think she's wonderful. She's a very intelligent woman but I don't see much to fear.""

Nobody has the benefit of foresight. If they did, the Tories would have been trounced in the last election.

Kate Bush has never involved herself much in party politics, and this is why her previous comments surprised a lot of fans. As she says here, she was specifically addressing the issue of the fear some have of women in power. It makes sense in that context. As she goes on to say, she thought about immediately clarifying it. But you can well understand, the media being what it is, that she thought it would be better just to shut up. She's uncomfortable discussing politics, and if she were to criticise May, she would be dragged further into it and discussions about Brexit.

I'm surprised that she's gone as far as to criticise Cameron and to state: "[the comments] could make it seem like I am a Tory supporter, which I want to make clear I am not". It doesn't get clearer and more unequivocal than that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:58 pm 
Regular

I'm not picking a fight with you, but she didn't need foresight.

Anyone could see from May's performance as Home Secretary what sort of person she was. "Climate of fear", vans telling illegal immigrants to go home, the Home Office slapped down by the courts on more than one occasion, and so on. A toxic blend of authoritarianism and incompetence.

KB is entitled to her opinions, of course, and is equally entitled to express them. But being a National Treasure doesn't mean that you're never wrong :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:40 pm 
Regular

Perfect Monster wrote:
I'm not picking a fight with you, but she didn't need foresight.

Anyone could see from May's performance as Home Secretary what sort of person she was. "Climate of fear", vans telling illegal immigrants to go home, the Home Office slapped down by the courts on more than one occasion, and so on. A toxic blend of authoritarianism and incompetence.

KB is entitled to her opinions, of course, and is equally entitled to express them. But being a National Treasure doesn't mean that you're never wrong :lol:

No, I know you're not picking a fight, PM.

But consider the problem she faces in trying to clarify her position. If she were to specifically criticise May, it would now draw her into a much wider and more aggressive debate. It would require her to take a public stance on Brexit, among other things, and to keep having to talk about it over and over.

The statement she's made is unprecedented for her. I don't think there can be any doubt that she seriously regrets those off the cuff remarks intended to be about gender equality!